deaf applicant

has anyone interviewed a deaf applicant before? We will be and I was just curious if he might bring an interpreter or if we are going to have to write everything down.

I knew I should have taken sign language in college!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have not interviewed a deaf applicant before, but I used to be an (unlicensed) interpreter for my city's summer camp. There were four deaf kids and about 150 hearing kids and I interpreted ASL and English for 10 hours every day. I took 3 years of ASL in highschool and 2 years of it in college.
    Anyhow, I would call this person via TTY / an exchange service (your state probably has one - look at the beginning pages of your local phone book) and simply ask if he would like an interpeter for the interview and if so you would be happy to provide one (they are not too expensive but not cheap either). I would not assume he would be bringing an interpreter himself. Writing things down back and forth is totally fine - nothing wrong with that at all. However, it might be uncomfortable if the person does not have very good English skills. Since ASL (which I'm assuming he uses instead of SEE which is Signed Exact English) has a completely different syntax than English. Those who know ASL as their first language can SOMETIMES have a hard time with English - especially the writing part.

• Lola,

I have interviewed a hearing impaired applicant before. They actually came with an interpreter to the interview. You will probably want to check with the applicant to see if they will need you to provide one.

One key thing to remember, the interpreter will either sit behind you or next to you. You will need to look at the applicant and speak to them as you would any other applicant. It makes them feel more engaged with you as if they are talking to you. When you look at the interpreter (and you may want to in that awkward silence) it can appear that you are embarrassed or not interested in engaging the applicant.

Good Luck.
  • very helpful replies. Thank you. x:)
  • I also interviewed a deaf applicant. They brought an interpreter with, but I was prepared to do it in writing in case they did not. Remember if you do applicant testing to be prepared for that also. (One more note, let your receptionist know so that they aren't caught completely off guard.)
  • I interviewed and hired a deaf applicant. She was applying for a data entry spot. Came in with a written commentary on her skills and experience. It was much more detailed than a resume. Questions and answers were done in writing.

Some ideas if you hire a deaf person. We put up a white board to post any special instructions or procedures. Installed a flashing light to alert her in case of an emergency. We took telephone messages for her when a call came in. Excellent employee.