Jury Duty Benefit Limits?

Our policy pays employees when they are on jury duty, for a maximum of ten days per year. Does everyone place such a limit on the benefit and is ten days pretty standard? Grand jury duty is every Wednesday for three months, for twelve days, and I'm hearing some grumbling.

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I thought there was a federal law prohibiting employers from NOT letting people off without penalty to attend jury duty. But, I don't know of any law that addresses paying them.

By the way Creosote, can we expect your demise when the Feds begin to prohibit the use of creosote in the near future, or is that just pressure treated pine?
  • We also cap salary continuation at 10 days, but it's never been a problem for us because jury service is a one-day or one-trial arrangement here. Longest trial I think any of our employees has ever been on was 3 days.
  • In Illinois, jury duty is unpaid leave, you are being generous for paying the ten days. See
    705 Ill. Comp. stat. S 310/10.1 - thats not realkly an S, its a squiggly thing not on my keyboard.

Every company is different, I was on a jury for 6 weeks and was paid the whole time. I ended up making money because Mass pays $50/day after three days.
  • No cap on our jury pay. Only once was an ee "invited" to a grand jury - went to court every week day for 30 days.
  • I always wondered what happened to people called for some of the long trials...like Martha Stewart...or any of the Enron-type things...I just can't imagine finding enough people that could go that long without a paycheck (beyond the stipend paid by the government)...that wouldn't even begin to offset my bills!!!
  • Ours is very generous - we pay the employee 120 hours, a max of 40 hours per week. Then the employee reimburses us for any payment he/she received from the court, less travel expenses.
  • We pay the employee their regular day's pay, minus whatever government stipend they receive (usually around $25) for a maximum of 10 days.
  • We pay the difference between what the employee earns as a juror and what the employee would have earned at work (base pay). This benefit, however, does not apply to any employee who volunteers to serve on a jury.
  • We pay our ees up to 10 days once every two years.
  • We pay full time employees up to 10 days per year. They are allowed to keep the per diem check they receive from the court.
  • 10 days is fairly standard. Government employers tend to be more generous.
  • JURY DUTY IS NOT A BENEFIT; IT IS EVERYONE'S CIVIL DUTY. We pay the ee the difference between Jury pay and a normal 8 hour day if they go to work upon being released daily. Problem is, they are released daily and choose not to go to work, in these cases we off set the actual hours worked as a jury member and the value of the same hours worked as a jury person verses being a working ee.

We support the community verses supporting the ee, but we do not choose to cause the ee to loose income resulting from a civil duty.

We direct that the ee who chooses to get paid for the time spent on jury duty to provide the appropriate documentation which outlines the exact "jury duty" times dates and so forth. We will allow anyone to use personal time awarded other than "sick time" for the time missed and not judged as "jury duty time"!

PORK
  • Louisiana law requires an employer to pay the regular hourly or salary for one day that an employee serves on jury duty. After one day it is up to the employer's policy as to whether or not to continue paying employee.

Our policy pays employees the entire time they are on jury duty. There is no maximum limit. The employee is required to reimburse us the jury stipend they receive, less travel expenses. They are required to provide us with a written attendance report upon their return to work. The court system personnel in our area are very helpful in providing the necessary documentation.

We have never had an employee serve for more than 3 days.
  • We are definitely not so generous. Washington state law doesn't require us to pay for jury duty. We pay a maximum of 3 days and require our employees to make all reasonable efforts to be at work before and after jury duty if their work schedule allows it (we are a 24/7 facility, so many of our employees work nontraditional shifts).
  • Believe it or not, CA does not require us to pay for jury duty, but we do have to allow the time off to serve. We pay for ten days and allow them to keep what the county pays. Here the Courts keep track of what employers' jury duty pay policies are, so they can't lie and claim financial hardship to get out of serving.

Years ago when I worked for the federal government, I served on a jury for 3 1/2 months at full pay.
  • We pay 15 days of jury duty to full-time employees. If an employee is part-time, we are required by NYS law to pay the employee $40 for the first three days of jury duty and then they are paid for their service directly by the court.

LFernandes