HIPAA Complaint/Appeal Reqs

I am trying to help out a local govt client that is self insured. They are scrambling to get all of their HIPAA forms in order before the looming Ap 14 deadline. One question I can't answer, and hope one of you can help me with, is what the law requires a covered entity to provide for the complaint/appeal procedure? Is an independent board consisting of three persons outside of the agency required to be the final stop for a complaint appeal, or is this something that this particular client came up with on their own? Just need to know if this is REQUIRED. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In many cases, the the designated Privacy Officer is the same person that is designated to receive the complaints.
  • OUR PLAN we are required to appoint a contact person who is responsible for the receiving of complaints about privacy compliance. Our corporate HR has been appointed the contact person, he will conduct investigations and will make final decisions on the company response. It reads like your company has come up with the three man board which I highly recommend. Our corporate HR will be considered by most jurys as the FOX in the CHICKEN COPE.

HAVE BRIGHT AND SUNNY DAY AND A BLESSED ONE AT THAT.

pork
  • Thanks!

Pork, you made a reference to chicks and not to pigs this time...are you changing your focus, or is this a nod to Easter this weekend? x:D (I read a lot of strings, and post a lot less...)

So it is a matter of preference and not a requirement in the CFR's, I take it. I couldn't find anything written in the litany of website sources requiring this type of independent appeal/review (although I agree, it is certainly more independen and less potentially biased).

You all have a fantastic day as well!