Hiring A Bilingual Employee

We hire through a temporary agency. We have an area in our factory were there are several employees who speak Spanish and very little English and a few employees who do not speak Spanish at all. Is it discrimination if we ask that our next employee in that area be bilingual? We don't want to discrminate but we need someone who can communicate for us. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think you're well within your rights to hire a bilingual employee in that area. It would facilitate communication between your employees.

In addition to that, however, I would also extend an offer of conversational language courses to both English-speaking and Spanish-speaking employees. This has proven beneficial to us in the past, although usually it's our English-speaking employees who sign up to take Spanish. The interest level among our Spanish-speaking employees to learn English does not seem to be as enthusiastic.
  • I don't think it's discriminatory, either. One thing you can do is post flyers in common areas (like breakrooms) about free English classes. I see them advertised all over at churches and libraries. We include the ability to communicate independently in English in our evaluations for increases, and word of that spread very quickly.
  • I think it would be discriminatory if you were to include it as a requirement in your job ad or screening process. Listing it as a plus or a beneficial skill is one thing, but requiring it of applicants is quite another. I come down on the side of thinking it is discriminatory to demand of Americans that they learn a second language.
  • Whether the requirement is discriminatory or not is dependent upon whether the job requires bi-lingual skills to get it done. If the job has been getting done without it then that argues that it might be discriminatory. On the other hand, given the change in our workplaces over the last several years, bilingual skill is an advantage and if the job has reached the point that it is a requirement then it isn't discriminatory. To address Don's point about forcing people to learn a second language - it is certainly contrary to the American culture to learn a second language, however, the workplace is very different now, and it is an advantage to do so, and those who do create new job opportunities for themselves - just look at all the HR jobs that require bilingual skills - at least that is the case in our part of the country.
  • If you decide that the job description requires that the the applicant be bilingual, I'd consider paying a little extra for that skill or consider paying a translation or interpretation rate for the times when that employee is asked to translation or interpretation.

Half HR
  • Gillian3 is speaking from a personal, philosophical point of view. I was trying to address the question from a legal point of view. Discrimination cases aren't tried or resolved based on what society 'might ought' to do or the viewpoint one may have of the way the world is headed.