Another HIPAA Question

I am in the process of complying for HIPAA. I have my plan and amendments completed (I think), but I am not sure what the next step is....do I have to submit these amendements to my employees or can I just keep them in a binder and that is enough to qualify us as complying?

I am not sure what I should give to my employees if I do have to give them anything?

Any adivce would be great. Thanks!!!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You do not have to provide the plan amendments to the employees but you do have to provide them with the Privacy Notice. Are you self insured or fully insured? This will determine how much you, as the employer, are required to do as opposed to the insurance company.
  • Our company is fully insured. We have about 180 employees. Other than posting the Privacy Notice do we have to give each employee a Privacy Notice?
  • We are fully insured. I am still not sure what I need to provide my employees aside from the Privacy Notice. I have already done that.

Do I just keep the paperwork in a binder? Is that complying?

Thanks!
  • My understanding of the HIPAA regs. (we are self-insured) is that if you are fully insured and ONLY receive summary health information, the Privacy Notice is sufficient. You are still required to keep all documentation regarding HIPAA together so if there is any question you can provide documentation regarding how you made the decisions. As far as the Privacy Notice, it needs to be provided to all participants, not just posted. If you are fully insured this should be something the insurance company does for you - check with them.