Treatment of Confidential E-Mail Information

How would you handle information, submitted to you confidentially via e-mail, which pertained to problems w/client/company relationship, as well as relationship between senior management and manager? As HR representative, do you notify e-mail sender that you are going to take action or is this not necessary given the fact that the e-mail was sent to you unsolicited?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I guess my answer is, it depends on who the sender is/was. I would not feel any obligation to respond unless it was a peer manager, my supervisor, an officer of the company or some senior member of management whom I assumed would want a confirmation reply. And depending on who it was in that list of people, I might or might not tell them what I intend to do, or as you say, tell them 'that you are going to take action'. Your reply can range from, "Thanks" all the way up to "Yes sir! I assure you I'll be on this right away and will keep you posted as my investigation rolls out." Assess where the sender is in the pecking order and act accordingly.
  • Our handbook clearly points out that email is not confidential and should, at best, be compared to a post card. There should be no expectation of confidentiality or privacy with respect to email.

That said, I agree with Don's response.