Forfeit Expenses?

Our Corporate Company policy (that I did not write) states that employees must turn in their expenses within 30 days in order to be reimbursed. We have an old employee who left the company in December and is now turning in expenses dating back to August of 1993. My gut feeling is that we have to pay him and money owed that came from a "legit" business expense. Because of our policy can we legally have him "forfeit payment" based on a timely manner. I am in California and our Corporate office is in New York is the rules are different....

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would say sorry.................. I might consider ones I could verify legit from November or December, anything else........to bad. 1993 he must be smoking crack!
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I agree - he has GOT to be smoking crack! I would stay within the parimeters of the policy and tell him to go take a long walk off a short pier if he doesn't like it.
  • He has no protection in California. The requirement to pay employees in a timely manner applies to wages, not decade old expenses.
  • Honey, you got it made! If Gillian3 says there isn't a rule about this in the country of California, then you have nothing to worry about. Don't deviate from your policy, not even the few months Balloonguy suggests. Stick with policy. Sorry Charlie.

Note: The preceeding is my personal opinion and has no value beyond that. Although it may be 'sorta offensive' or 'indeed offensive' to someone out there, it is offered without regard to that possibility. Should you find yourself alarmed by my post, you may privately mail me to protest or you may alert the principal's office. x:-)
  • WHAT'S THIS "HONEY" STUFF; you sexy southern boy, you!

• Most companies won't pay expenses outside the calendar year in which they were incurred. "1993" - give me a break! Our controller would have him for breakfast!
  • My Controller eats employees for breakfast too. I still refuse to eat employees for lunch. Maybe somebody else in the office would enjoy the snack. (Always sharing, I am!)
  • We have a similar situation right now with a current employee who claims their expense report from an international assignment in 1998 was lost and never paid. Our attorney says it could be a contract claim, but contracts must be enforced within 3 years for written or 2 years for verbal. We are looking into our employee's claim and are considering it, but for a former employee going back 11 years is incredibly unreasonable.
  • 1993, good grief! 8-| Isn't the IRS statute of limitations on tax returns only 7 years? Use your perfectly clear policy as it is written.
  • OMG! I must be the one smoking crack I meant to put 2003- I was wondering why all the comments since it really was only 6 months old.... OOPPPSS!
    By the way- Don D can call me Honey anytime... Remember it is only sexual harrasment if it is not welcomed ;;)

• Wow, lots of crack smoking going on these days. Anywho...I would still stick to the policy even if the expenses were incurred in 2003. You blatantly have a policy that states the terms and I would stick to them with this ex ee as well as all current ee's and ex ee's.
  • The question I have is, has the policy been followed strictly, and are they verifiable legit expenses. If it has been followed strictly, no problem don't pay. If not, and you know they are legitimate, then I might consider them. How strict have you stuck to that policy?
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Deej is right - I guess I assume everyone is a stick in the mud about policies like my company is x:)
  • I'm disappointed in you folks. If all HR had to do was read its policies and tell employees what those policies are, then we could all quit and let our clerks do the work.

The policy in this case is clear, but the circumstances may warrant an exception. Why did it take this person so long to turn in his expenses? What is the practice in actuality - is it common practice for people in the company to be late in turning in their expenses? You might be successful in a legal battle, but how does this action reverberate around the organization - another example of strictly adhering to rules when it comes to dealing with employees, no matter what? And what are you talking in regard to total expense - is the time being spent on this issue and costs for attorney fees, etc. in reviewing this situation far exceeding the actual cost of reimbursing these expenses? And what is to be gained by beating this "old" person out of a few hundred bucks, particularly since he isn't working there anymore?

I know some of you are going to say paying would establish a bad precedent, but I don't think it will. In fact, I would say this offers an opportunity to review what I consider to be a rather strict policy. 30 days is not much time to submit your reimbursement expenses and should be lengthened. And, frankly, these are expenses incurred by employees on the companies behalf - it isn't like they are asking for reimbursement of expenses that aren't legitimate business expenses.
  • Do you perchance have a relative that goes by the name Aluminum Boy? x;-)
  • No. He didn't say anything about "HR crap".
  • I think the "proper" term is "mumbo-jumbo" x:D
  • Why have policies you do not enforce? There can be valid reasons for putting a 30 day limit on expense reimbursement. One example: The company can have agreements with customers with respect to expense reimbursement and billing cycles that preclude going back to the customer after the time periods have expired.

Did the company keep its reimbursement policy a secret? I doubt it. The EE knew or should have known about the deadlines. I am all for flexibility in policies, but this is often a one-way street. If the ER demonstrated the same time insensitivity when it came to paying its employees or vendors, there would definitely be consequences.

All of that said, 30 days is kind of tight. Is this a consistently enforced policy or just enforced for ex-EEs?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-02-04 AT 10:38AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Here we go again! The voice of reason. I always like to listen to the voice of reason, especially when it comes from our elders, telling us it must be someone else's fault. Do cos make exceptions to their policies. Of course, and they should for good reasons stated and supported. Has this co ever paid an expense request after the 30 days? I'll bet Don's pay it has. Should it go back to 1993? Is there any good reason too (except the policy is too strict and 30 days isn't much time...)Gimme a break. Might the ee be able to state a contract cliam? Sure. Will the co have to spend ridiculous sums and other resources defending this frivolous and outrageous claim? Yep. And, in my mind, that is the only reason to even consider paying this nitwit one thin dime, because whether you spend it on old ezxpenses or new legal fees, it's still money the co must spend. But I'd sure as hell resist paying the goof ball who didn't care enough for his own ibnterests to file timely reports. Geessh!! And, what I meant to conclude was. I hope what reverberates around the co is that we ain't idiots and we don't pay for stupid!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-02-04 AT 02:54PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Shadowfax! You sound like you've taken a 'Don pill' this afternoon! Calm down. People will be confusing you with me and we can't have that. I listened to my 'Elder' and remember when I was 21 my Daddy slapped me halfway across the kitchen. So, I dare not cross my elders, even today. x:-)

I also just realized some of us are assuming the errant/forgetful employee is an older worker and we're encouraged to feel sorry for him, therefore enabling him to become a 'victim'. I assumed the term 'old employee' to mean ex-employee and brushed it aside as a statement in the vernacular. Like an old friend. Or, an old employee of ours, meaning somebody who used to work here, but of no particular age. I also refer to my last vehicle as 'an old car of mine'. It doesn't relate to age but to ex. I don't refer to my ex wife as an old wife of mine, although she is an old hag.