Losing touch

For the past two months, due to a layoff of several office employees, I have taken on additional roles that has kept me out of my office for a majority of the day (although I'm still in the building). Recently I'm becoming aware of some problems with the way issues are being handled.

It appears that decisions are made regarding how management is going to deal with a problem before a complete investigation is being done. This has resulted in an employee NOT being assigned the proper level of discipline for an insubordination issue and two other employees being accused of sabotaging machines, both claiming innocence.

I have spent the past two years being very conscious of ensuring all employees are treated fairly and consistently and now I'm being made aware of things that have occured that are in direct contrast to this. I have spoken with upper management about this and they agree that the situations have been handled incorrectly.

I would like to tell all supervisors and the plant manager that prior to making any decisions regarding discipline, unless it is a quality or attendance issue, that the situation is to be brought to my attention so a thorough investigation can be done. I am concerned, however, that it would appear that I'm coming down on them and not allowing them to do their jobs.

How would you guys handle this?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If this was the process that was followed before, explain that you know you are out of the office but still need to be kept in the loop for the reasons you told us. You're not asking anything new, right? They may be looking for instant gratification but we've all had to make adjustments as our staff size shrinks.
  • I'd just put out a memo or email to the effect "In order to ensure that employee issues are handled in a fair and consistent manner, I would appreciate supervisors bringing these matters to my attention before discussing with employees."

It appears that the supervisors have possibly taken advantage of the fact that you have been otherwise occupied and have attempted to take matters into their own hands. Just need to reel them back in.

• LindaS: While you are at it you might throw a "ringer" into the system by declaring that any case requiring legal defense without your input will be defended by the responsible manager/supervisor. Your word and creditablity to defend the company is important and your bond. To protect the company in "a company screw-up in personnel management" is of utmost importance to everyone; but, you can not be accountable, when you have no influence on guiding the proper human resource actions which will lead to the happening.

PORK
  • I would act right away because the longer you wait, the more it looks like you are tacitly approving the incorrect actions. And I would try to take the high road and utilize the actions as training opportunities. Perhaps a reminder "...though the company has downsized a bit, it is still important that we maintain the high standards of fair treatment for all personnel. This means thorough fact finding prior to implementing disciplinary action. Just as a reminder, all disciplinary decisions must receive HR's blessing prior to implementation. Thanks for your help during these difficult times."
  • Some of the above suggestions are good ones but onlyif you have upper management's support. Good luck.
  • Welcome to my world. I swear, somtimes I think our corporate motto is "Shoot, Ready, Aim" You...or someone like you...must have fought this battle before at some point. Solid HR practices don't just spring from the ground, so there has to be some support there, which will make this easier.