Safety program

I am starting a safety program, complete with safety committee. Does anyone have a draft of a safety plan or can offer any advice on starting a program. I am a TN employer. Any advice or references would be helpful. I have looked on the OSHA and TOSHA sites but am looking for some specifics. Currently, we do not drug test, for any reason, would you also include any info on starting a testing program in TN to include CURRENT employees.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You might get a more targeted response if you filled in some details. What kind of company are you? Office environment, mfg, warehousing, power generation or what? Number of employees?

Many companies do mandatory drug testing after accidents of any kind and many do pre-employment drug testing.

We have a safety plan, but we are a small employer in our own building with just 62 EEs. It may not be on target for your needs.
  • SENOJ: New start-up safety program...Where do you start? What is your companies' philosophy and can you get the GM to express it into a very sort safety statement?

Once you have his/her vision you can then began to interview and document what your companies SAFETY VALUES will be. Your principle thrust in this process is to find out what will it take to transfer the responsibility for safety on to the shoulders of the company employee?

Any company that does not have the true responsibility and accountability transferred to the "SHOULDERS OF THE EMPLOYEE" IS DOOMED TO FAIL TO GET THE SAFETY PROGRAM ACTIONS OFF OF PAPER AND INTO ACTION, where the rubber meets the road. Your program will forever more be a paper "cover your butt" activity and the responsibility of the HR/SAFETy person or with a strong safety committee, the shoulders of the committee.

Do you have an employee handbook? Is there a Safety article or topic? In your discipline section is there anything written on failure to exercise safety procedures?

We certainly can help, but we need some answers!!

PORK