Welfare to Work

Does anyone know of any welfare-to-work programs that can benefit non-profits?

Thanks!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-25-04 AT 01:42PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Are you looking for help, is that what you're referring to?

We were just working with the county here "employing" a young lady who needed a job, but had no work experience to speak of, therefore couldn't get a job to save her life.

I went through the normal hiring process with her and she interviewed horribly. We brought her back and worked with her on that, but also put her to work in our office. She understood that she would be critiqued along the way.

She did some office work for us and filled in on the phones when needed. The purpose was to give her some work experience while getting us some help. Her wage was paid for by the county. (We are NOT a non-profit organization).

She had to leave us for reasons not associated with her performance, BUT she has me as a reference for future job interviews and now has some experience to put on her resume.
  • We already hire people on welfare. What I am looking for is a federal or NJ program that gives credits somehow, to non-profits for doing so.
  • What a great thing you did. xclap I bet that in addition to experience, she gained a whole lot of self confidence.
  • You might want to check the Unemployment offices. They usually know of Federal or State programs that refund part of pay to the employer, based on certain criteria. I don't think that it makes any difference that the employer is non-profit.
  • Good question.

For more information, call 1-800-792-8881 or (609) 292-8112.

Got this off the NJ DOL site.