DISCHARGED EE WORKING AT OWNERS HOME

A RECENTLY DISCHARGED EE IS NOW WORKING AT THE OWNERS HOME AS AN ASSISTANT.

BEFORE BEING 'HIRED' IN THAT CAPACITY, SHE HAD LODGED A COMPLAINT OF HARASSMENT AND DISCRIMINATION AGAINST TWO MANAGERS IN LETTER OF DISCHARGE APPEAL. A COMPANY LETTER REQUESTING MORE INFO FROM HER WAS RETURNED BY POST OFFICE. INVESTIGATION DROPPED DUE TO NO FACTS.

NEXT SHE IS HIRED AS ASSISTANT AT OWNERS HOME IN A POSITION THAT THE OWNER HAD 'LET GO' THE PREVIOUS EE. SHOULD WE RE-INITIATE ORIGINAL HARASSMENT/DISCRIMINATION INVESTIGATE? WHAT RISK IS THERE REGARDING DISCHARGE/ACCUSATIONS/PERSONAL HIRE ETC?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've read this six times and do not have a response. I'll try again in the morning. Sorry.

Note: The preceeding is my personal opinion and has no value beyond that. Although it may be 'sorta offensive' or 'indeed offensive' to someone out there, it is offered without regard to that possibility. Should you find yourself alarmed by my post, you may privately mail me to protest or you may alert the principal's office. x:-)
  • Many questions:
    1. Could you please turn off the caps lock?
    2. Before the ee was discharged where were they working? (as in, what type of business are you in)
    3. As I understand from your post, she was fired and then wrote the company a letter stating she should not have been fired because two managers harassed her. Is this correct?
    4. When your reply letter to her was returned by the post office, did you attempt to contact her in any other way (i.e. call her)?
    5. Is she now employeed privately by the owner of the company (as in, not part of his/her company but employeed as a domestic worker by him/her personally)?
    6. If she is considered to be, once again, an employee of the owner's company, did the owner talk to HR before hiring her? Did he/she know about the letter the ee wrote?

Lots of questions, I know...but need more info to give an opinion.
  • I'm statching my head again. Have you called Jerry Springer yet to get dibs on any royalty for the show this could be part of?
  • I agree that the whole situation looks fishy...but let's try to break it down...

1. ee is fired (for cause, I assume). Then sends information that she's been harassed.

2. You try to follow up but do not receive a response from her...

If the story ended here, what would you do? Absent additional information, it's hard to investigate anything. I would document what you have, the attempts you made and leave it be.

IF the former ee is employed as a private ee of the owner and no longer a part of the business, I would just let it go. I understand how it could get hairy and weird...but you cannot from HR, control those that the owner hires to do his private bidding---so long as she is not collecting comany salary or benefits!!!
  • What is your position with the company? Assuming that she was fired from your company, are you saying that after she was terminated, she wrote you a letter? Or was it as a result of an unemployment hearing?

How do you know that she is now working for the ownwer at his home?

As others have posted, need more info.
  • Auto, please stop SHOUTING.

There is more you can do to get ahold of her, just have the owner deliver your letter requesting more information. By the way, the owner is one of those people you can probably tell what is going on and would probably appreciate the heads up.

As others have said, this could easily turn into a surreal Jerry Springer type show, only this one could be in open court with the owners checkbook squarely in the sights of a zealous attorney for the plaintiff. And, by the way, defense counsel gets paid too.

Since you have an alternate means of getting your request to her, please do so and have her sign for the request so you have solid evidence that you took action on her complaint.

Have you considered that the owner knows about the complaint and this is his/her method of mitigating the claim?