Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in!

Employees from my former company are calling me with complaints about the new HR person. Of course I tell them to take them to management but they don't like management. Anyway, one of the procedures she has in places has me shocked and the ee's p#@$$*d. I just had to check with the forum to see if this has been done else where.
The new HR person (one person department)Has instituded a policy that her and only her conduct the performence reviews for all on floor staff. This includes positions that run the gamut from meat cutters, cashiers, clerks, receivers etc. She does not have a retail background and does not supervise any of these ee's. She is even doing reviews of people that she has only met briefly.
I find this astounding!!! Any one else come across this before.
It is flattering to still be considered needed by my ex-ee's but I am trying to move on. I just can't find a way to tell them to stop calling.
x:-(

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I understand your concern with ees from your former employer calling you. This is still happening to me.

What I tell them is that I don't work there and have absolutely NO input on way things are done. They need to go to their supervisor to lodge a complaint.

Although it is flattering that you are still "needed", it undermines the new HR rep's role.
  • >It is flattering to still be considered needed
    >by my ex-ee's but I am trying to move on. I just
    >can't find a way to tell them to stop calling.

Rephrase your last statement as follows;
    "It is flattering to still be considered needed
    by you but I am trying to move on. Please stop calling unless you want to talk about something other than XXX corporation"

I still keep in touch with a few former co-workers who occasionally complain about things that are no longer my responsibility. After they've had a chance to vent, I tell them "Sounds rough, but there's nothing I can do for you since I don't work there anymore. Go to Betty. If she's not helpful, call Wilma." Then I change the subject.

I've never conducted evals for staff other than my own. I've coached supervisors through writing them, but that's about it. Not sure how thorough an eval would be coming from one who doesn't supervise the employee...

• As far as conducting evals for employees you don't supervise, I don't see how this could be done.

As far as the employees calling you, if you want to have a social connection with them, that's fine. But if you do want to "move on", you'll never be able to do so unless they quit putting the same issues in front of you. Remember the reason you left the company----you wanted to get away from all that!
  • I see 2 issues here. One is getting personal calls from employees who are employeed at your former job. How did they get your home phone number in the first place? If I remember correctly, you have been out of there for some time. On the outside, these calls reinforce your need for verification that you were terminated unjustly. But....on the inside, they are probably pulling you down and making you miserable. I think it is time for you to take control of your days and become more assertive.

The other issue is the new HR person. What she does or does not do should be of no interest to you. Once you brake the chain and get moving, your self-assurance and confidence will click in. Get aggressive with your job hunt, there is a whole bright world out there. Trust me, this too, shall pass. Been there.
  • You're not going to like what I'm about to say and it may roll me off the 'most popular' pedestal (ha). You have got to find a way to separate yourself from your former life. It is over. You are no longer there. They no longer employ you and you have no right or obligation to concern yourself with their problems or activities. It's not sufficient for you to proclaim, "Hey, the employees are calling me." You must force yourself to tell them not to concern you with their problems. Don't call you with the tidbits of juicy crap, the daily "Guess what she did today" routine you get from several of them. And certainly do not give them feedback, which I fear you are still doing. You cannot completely 'heal' until you break it off. Completely. Learn to say, "I don't wanna hear it." or "Hey, Hold it right there. Don't go there." I know it's easy for me to say, 'cause I haven't walked in your shoes, but I'm just trying to help. If you don't stop it, it will eventually consume you and eat you alive.

Note: The preceeding is my personal opinion and has no value beyond that. Although it may be 'sorta offensive' or 'indeed offensive' to someone out there, it is offered without regard to that possibility. Should you find yourself alarmed by my post, you may privately mail me to protest or you may alert the principal's office. x:-)

• Like I've heard Dr. Phil say many times to many people - you must be getting something out of this or you wouldn't be doing it. What's the pay off?

Break away and start fresh.

• FHR: You do need to move on; Evaluations done by the HR who is not designated the Office Manager and not charged with supervision of the staff are worthless documents. However, that is their problem and not yours. Any continued dialogue with you is the wrong place to be. Additionally, be careful about recruiting from your old employee those disgruntle employee!

PORK
  • You are all absolutely right!!! Thanks for the kick in the b@#t!
    I am going to use the advice to help stop "those" kind of calls. As for how they have my number it was listed at the front desk for emergencies. I imagine it is still there. I will arrange for it to disappear. I am DONE with that place!!!!!!
  • I don't know if I'd call it "astounding," but there are certainly better practices out there. Try saying "please stop calling me" the next time one of those former EE's calls you.
  • Just tell your former employees to direct the new HR person to this forum and have them post a thread titled:

"Do you think its a good idea for me to do all the reviews for our employees even if I have no idea what I am talking about?"

We'll take it from there... :)
  • Great suggestion Paul. Got a chuckle out of me.
  • Well I for one think Don can remain MR. HR ADVISOR (IMHO) for the forum. His advice is solid.

While HR does not do the actual evaluations at my company, I do review each and every one (we are under 50 employees) to check for rating consistency and adherence to policies, etc. Then based on the scores, calculate merit increases. We have found this very useful to the supervisors, in addition to addressing issues of fairness before the actual employees meet with their supervisors in the appraisal meeting.

For your own sanity, you really do need to MYOB and let the new HR person face his/her own concerns.