Health/performance issues

Five months ago, I was promoted to a senior management position at a small (200 employee) company. One of my new direct reports is the HR Manager.
I have noticed fairly serious lapses in this person's attention and memory since assuming my new duties, and several employees (some management, some not) have approached me with similar concerns. I suspect there may be health issues involved. This person is a long-term employee with a very good record of service, but these recent changes are definitely impacting performance.
My inclination is to have a frank discussion about this, but I am concerned because a) I'm not sure this person is fully aware of how serious this has become, and b) it might create a stressful situation that would add to, rather than alleviate, the problem.
Another area of question/concern is, this person lives alone, and the nearest relations are in a neighboring state. Assuming the behavior is health-related, other family members sharing the living quarters would probably be aware, but there are none in this case. Is it appropriate (legally and/or strategically) to contact family members with concerns of this nature?
Any advice would be appreciated. Obviously, in this particular case I can't go to our HR Manager for advice.
Thanks.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • First, do not go to this person's family with your concerns. You don't even know for sure if there is a health problem. Second, if you haven't already, document specifics and address the behaviors with the employee. Do not make assumptions about health or why its happening, only discuss that it is happening and that you recognize his spotless record and have noticed a significant change. Let your employee know you are there to help. Allowing it to continue will only make it worse.
  • DCMGR: You should get some responses here.

I, for one, would start the discussions and dialogue with the concerned Dir of HR, your sub-ordinate. I have found in my 40 years of leadership that our followers really do want input, be it negative or positive, the more positive the stronger the outcome, but we still want to know when our "specific behavior", that you see and hear, is simply not what you are looking for. As an adult and working for a company for compensation, I must rise to the occasion every day or maybe, if I'm not physically and mentally capable I should find someplace else to mark my time in this place.

Following a frank and honest discussion in a verbal confrontation, If I see positive change in performance, I would pile on the complements and my pleasure for positive behavior. If I do not receive positive behavioral change then you have no choice but to follow that up with a written frank and honest discussion of your expectations and "sunset" for fixing errant behavior. Now, in your initial discussions you should give the ee a true belief that you are a real caring and personal friend in whom he can trust and count on for help. He has got to open up with you or you want understand and that could be a detriment to his career with the firm.

I would not contact family relations until the ee has had a real chance to seek your understanding. After which, your choice maybe a opening to the family. Be careful here for the issue just might be family and relations with family or some other something outside of work.

Your company and the employees all deserve concerned seniors like your self; there is a point where the kindness maybe detrimental to the betterment of the company at which time you have got to make a business decision and make a cut of the employer and employee relationship!

I wish you and your HR, my peer well and a Blessed future.

PORK