Homeless or Nearly So Employee

We have just discovered one of our employees is living in unbelievable circumstances. Her house has no bathroom facilities, no water, she lives with 23 or more cats and in unbelievable filth. There are only a few chairs in the house. She appears to be carrying clothing and some food around with her in her pick-up truck. She actually showers in one of our school facilities. We are getting complaints about her personal body odor. She is making enough money that she should not be as desititute as she appears. We are changing her work assignment to alleviate some of the stress in her life. She is a very private and strange person. My concern is that she may be close to having an all-out mental breakdown or close to committing suicide. Where do you draw the line between personal circumstances and work? We have the safety of our students and staff to consider. Should we stay out of her personal life or should we call MHMR to get her some help? There are no documented incidents that show she is not doing her work. She claims she had money stolen out of her purse last week and then began asking fellows teachers to lend her money.

I have never faced a situation like this before and I really don't know what to do.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I went through a similar situation with a 'co-worker/mgr'. Long story short, I bought a grocery store gift certificate for her (coz she was too proud to ask for help) and left 'anonymous gift baskets' of food at her doorstep to help her out. Bottom line, the efforts helped her, she made it through a very tough time. Maybe this lady is having legal problems, drugs, who knows... I can see where you'd be uncomfortable about her asking co-workers for money.
  • It sounds like she is having or has had some type of mental breakdown. Usually, people who live like this for no apparent reason are paranoid of something.

I would call her in and advise that you know of her living condition situation and if there is anything you can do to help her find assistance. There are organizations to help people in dire straits find suitable housing, etc. If you have an EAP, you might want to offer her this service.

Living with this many animals, no bathroom or shower facilities, is a health hazard. Health and Human Services, Salvation Army, etc. could all lend a hand with helping her find a place. A women's shelter might also be of help if you have one in your area.

Good luck.

• Address the body odor. Address the asking others for money. How did you find out about her living conditions? It certainly sounds like something the health department should know about, but I share your reluctance to cross that line. Its a tough one but if she is living in filth with 23 cats you are putting your staff and students at risk for all kinds of infections.

My first reaction is that she is an addict - living in squalor when she can afford more and asking others for money. I've known a few in my life and that is a classic sign of drug abuse gone very very bad.

• I think we need to be careful about making diagnosis' here. Maybe she is having a drug problem but I have also known many people who live like this who would never touch drugs. They have a mental illness.
  • That is not a diagnosis, its simply an alternative to the aforementioned suggestion of a mental breakdown. We just don't know with the information available. Why would someone choose to live like that? Who knows. But in my experience, they are mentally ill, as you say, or addicted, most often, to crack. The only thing that has me lean toward drugs is the money aspect. Where is it all going and why is she mooching off co-workers?
  • They are mentally ill, no doubt whatsoever! I mean why else would they have 23 cats, unless of course they also own a resturant. :-)
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • My concern is that she may be close to having an all-out mental breakdown or close to committing suicide.

>Where do you draw the line between personal
    >circumstances and work? We have the safety of
    >our students and staff to consider.

She claims she had money stolen out
    >of her purse last week and then began asking
    >fellows teachers to lend her money.

One - why do you believe she may be close to a mental breakdown or close to committing suicide? Is it because of rumors or have there been any real signs that she may be subject to either? If she shows signs, she may need a referral to your EAP, if you have one.

Two - why do you believe she may be a threat to students or other staff? Again, you may need to talk to her or those who feel she may a threat.

Three - was her purse stolen at work?

If you don't feel comfortable talking to her, the dean or the principal needs to, but for professional reasons, not personal.

• I have moved her from from school to another trying to find a good fit for her. She came in to tell me how bad things were going at the new school and in that conversation, she began to tell me about the latest robbery of her home. This lady has worked for us for three years and in that time, according to her, she has been robbed twice at her home. She was remodeling and a new hot water heater was stolen, a toliet was disconnected and stolen, other building supplies and tools were stolen, and most of her furniture.

I have not heard any rumors about this lady's circumstances and behaviors. I don't know the authentic signs of a breakdown or suicide, but in my last conversation with her, she was shaky, near tears, talking like she didn't know what to do, talking about how bad things were for her and she worried me. She worried me so much, I talked to my Superintendent about her. I got her some help in adjusting to the new school and offered to help her with the personal matters, but she declined. I believed every word she told me at first, but now, even the police don't believe her when she says she has been robbed or something is stolen.

She appears to be unstable. She is living in filth with at least 23 cats. A teacher offered to let her stay in her garage apartment, but she declined because she could not bring the cats. This behavior could manifest itself in a negative way toward others, not to mention the germs she might be spreading around.

At work, her purse was not taken, but a $1,000 dollar money order was taken according to her. The money order was not made out to anyone and according to her, the place where she purchased it replaced the money.

It is not a question of not feeling comfortable about talking to her, but rather what are the limits when the body odor is basically the only tangible job-related concern.
  • Sounds to me as if she has a mental disease. If you have a psychologist or psychiatrist (or even a nurse or doctor) associated with your school, go talk to them. If not, call a hot line or visit a local facility and ask what should be done.

• I have worked through a similar experience only the employee had about as many puppies, but similar complaints of odor, asking for money and overall being different.

One issue you mentioned re: showering on the premises, do you allow other employees to use the schools facility to shower?

Re: odor, we found she kept the puppies in the house and didn't clean up after them and when they jumped on her long skirts...well what they had stepped in was now on her clothes. She was trying to breed them for extra money, but things got out of hand.

Re: money, she spent all her money on pet food.

Other: her son finally left home and had been helping her keep it together.

What we did - After talking to her it sounded as if the animals and herself were not in humane conditions. Sounds cruel, be we reported her to the health dept. and humane society. Both she and her pets received help after a visit.