Food Allergy

We have an employee who has reported an allergy to the smell of fish and seafood. This is something he is able to handle relatively gracefully when the food is refrigerated or room temperature (leaving the lunch room when necessary to eat his lunch elsewhere). But when an employee uses the microwave to heat fish or seafood he reports that he experiences problems with his eyes (which can be remedied with medication) and migraines (for which he does not have a successful treatment).

While we do not have many employees that choose to heat fish or seafood very often, he has asked that we ask all employees to let him know the day before they bring fish or seafood they intend to heat in the microwave so that he can plan to take his lunch during that same time period out of the office while the odor can dissapates. Additionally, he plans to heat some vanilla extract in the microwave to cover the remaining odor when he returns.

I have never had to address this type of situation before so any advice on how to respond to this would be of great help.

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Interesting. I am severely allergic to seafood (especially shell fish as it makes my throat close up) but I'm not allergic to the smell. Don't get me wrong, I HATE the smell - but it doesn't cause a reaction like the one your ee is describing. The eye thing sounds a little weird, but I can understand the migraine thing a bit. I know someone who cannot have ANY food cooked in her house when experiencing a migraine because it literally will make her worse (throwing up and the whole bit). However, I haven't heard of a smell causing a migraine - just making them worse. Of course, I'm not implying your ee is lying...just that I've never heard of his specific situation before.
    It sounds like the ee is a compromising sort and is trying to be proactive about his needs. Although I have no idea how you would word something like this, how it would fly according to your company culture, or what the size of your company is...but I don't see a problem with asking all ee's to give a head's up if they're gonna bring stinky fish in and heat it up the day before. However, I have no idea how you should handle people who don't give the head's up...
    Maybe a sign on the microwave would help? Hmmm. I'd love to hear what other formites think of this one.
  • I agree with Cinderella, it's nice the employee wants to be proactive and take a positive approach to his problem, but what happens when an employee forgets to advise of tomorrow's fish, or they don't plan meals that far in advance?.

If simply masking the odor with heated vanilla extract will solve the problem, then why not install a vanilla scented air freshener? If a "masking" scent solves the problem then it's not an allergy, is it?

Once again, I haven't actually answered the question, but hopefully gave some more ideas to think about. x:D

• Instead of sending out a mass message to all employees that they will probably not remember after reading it, why not simply post a sign on the microwave asking anyone who is heating up fish or seafood (aren't they the same thing?x:-/ ) to contact [employee name] by calling extension [phone number]. That way he is notified if someone is heating up the food and he knows he that he needs to eat lunch outside of the office.
  • ALWAYS LEARNING IN OR: And so are we! Before we go making public announcements that we "have a wienie in our midst, and the majority must make behavioral changes to accomodate this fruit cake", I would have another conversation with the ee. The ee's proactive action is good, but company formalized reaction may cause the ee more and difficult attention. Ask the ee for his suggestion on what he wants the company to do in this matter! He can wear a cloths pin on his nose, the company can put up signs, but the company, beyond removing the MICROWAVE or this EE should not be required to change the whole environment for the whole!

Make fish eating a "no no"! Serve everyone PORK and all will be happy and smarter. Did you know that PORK is the other white meat?

PORK
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-19-04 AT 04:10PM (CST)[/font][br][br] Before
    >we go making public announcements that we "have
    >a wienie in our midst, and the majority must
    >make behavioral changes to accomodate this fruit
    >cake", He can wear a cloths pin on
    >his nose, the company can put up signs, but the
    >company, beyond removing the MICROWAVE or this
    >EE should not be required to change the whole
    >environment for the whole!
    >
    >Make fish eating a "no no"! Serve everyone PORK
    >and all will be happy and smarter. Did you know
    >that PORK is the other white meat?
    >
    >PORK

Pork: Your posts belong in the HR-de-har-har section. You crack me up! They're better than the majority of posts in the aforementioned section. I wish we could all 'brand' our employers like you have. I think I'll go out and eat some pork this evening. And have a blessed weekend!

• Now, now, Pork. Don't forget some wienies are made out of piggies. ;)
  • Thanks to all so far. Couple other things to add to the mix:

First, my apologies, I should've written "fish and shellfish" because he has been specific in this regard. x:-8

Second, is this different from our no perfume/cologne policy? I've heard that some companies don't allow flower arrangements in the office because of allergies - we don't have this in place.

Third, we had considered the sign idea, but if he needs to be in the office for a meeting or has already taken his lunch we've still got a problem. It's the planning piece that he feels is most important.

Finally, we are a very small company, so this issue is already quite public.

I sure wish I could answer the questions about odor aversion vs. allergy.

We do expect that if we decide we need to take any action we will request a note from his doctor - which he has indicated he would be happy to provide.

My priority here is to work to avoid blowing things out of proportion if at all possible, but also to answer this situation in a way that allows it to be a closed subject for everyone - and a way that differentiates between a dislike and a serious allergy - since that is what we are working to respond to.

Believe me, this is one of those things that makes me wish I'd gone into accounting. Then I could come up with this stuff for the hr person!

• Always Learning: You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. I wish I had an answer to this issue for you but I don't. Let us know how it all turns out - this is definitely an interesting situation!
  • PS Where in Oregon are ya? x:)
  • This is hilarious. Tell the employee that if he has an aversion to food, any types of food, he should simply avoid the area where food is prepared, heated, microwaved and consumed. Ask him to eat his lunch out back under a tree or in his car or at his desk. It is assinine to assume that a company might require employees to announce tommorrow's meal plans in advance so people can decide what their sense of smell might tolerate. Absolutely assinine. On a related note, the last place I worked was owned by Chinese and had quite a few oriental office employees. They could cook stuff in the microwave that would gag a maggot. No offense intended, it's the absolute truth. But I never complained. I just exited the building, stage right.

Note: The preceeding is my personal opinion and has no value beyond that. Although it may be 'sorta offensive' or 'indeed offensive' to someone out there, it is offered without regard to that possibility. Should you find yourself alarmed by my post, you may privately mail me to protest or you may alert the principal's office. x:-)
  • We had this same issue with popcorn in the microwave. Some people didn't mind it, but when employees starting eating it burned, there were some issues (mainly from a fire standpoint).

I just keep some air freshner handy (try to get the neutralizer type - it works really well). That usually takes care of offensive air odors.
  • Interesting..............have not replied before now as I was on vacation last Friday. :-)
    I am also severely allergic to shellfish, but I eat fish. The smell does not cause a problem. The day before thing is stupid. Letting him know prior to cooking is reasonable I guess............
    The whole world should not have to change because of him. This is not an ada issue either.......he needs to be flexible.
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-22-04 AT 02:25PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Actually, last week an ee won a large court settlement in a wc case involving the flavorings(the non-butter junk that supposedly makes the popcorn taste buttery) of microwave popcorn. Apparently, the workers who made the microwave popcorn have gotten an unusual form of cancer.
    I guess the thought of eating pork sounds good. Uh-oh, I just remembered that pork ain't kosher. x:'(
  • Wow! Crazy. I hate the taste of "buttered" microwave popcorn so here is a tip for anyone who loves the convenience but not the taste:
    Newman's Own makes a "natural" microwave popcorn with just a bit of salt and oil. Pop some up, melt a little bit of real butter and pour it on. Presto! Just like mom used to make with the air popper.
  • Cinderella,

Even better is using a whirly pop old fashioned popcorn maker. It takes 2-3 minutes (same as the microwave stuff) and tastes so much better. To top it off, no weird chemicals or hydrogenated oils (trans fat). Just popcorn, about a teaspoon of oil and then when it's done, you can add any topings that suit your fancy.

Nothing is as good as the original and the whirly pop is the original!

If you want some extra fun for kids (or kids at heart) you can open the lid up for a second while the corn is popping so that it pops out a little and flies around the kitchen - so much better than 52 card pickup.

alio
  • How apopos. I just returned from Key West where I ate so much shell fish it was coming out of my ears. I wouldn't imagine your EE would ever dare set foot on the Key, since you can't go out to eat anywhere that doesn't serve fish. If you entertain this kind of nonsense, you will be setting yourselves up for all kinds of games. By the way, flowers carry pollen, which can be inhaled. It's not the SMELL that people are allergic to, it's the POLLEN. Now I'm sure that if you tell the EE that it's his issue to deal with, not the company's, the next thing he'll do is come in with a doctor's note. I would then call the doctor and ask for specific information that states smell can trigger an allergic reaction. Don't hold your breath for that information cuz there isn't any.
  • I've always wondered how people with extreme sensitivities to scented products manage to live their lives outside of the workplace. Do they have an attendant that travels everywhere with them everywhere misting the air with more pleasing smells or odor neutralizers?

Before asking the rest of the workforce for cooperation I would ask the ee for a doctor's note specifically addressing the allergy to the SMELL of fish or shell fish and documenting the link between those smells and his migraines.

Just FYI, to be a true allergic reaction whatever the indivudal is reacting to has to be an organic compound. Otherwise it is simply a respiratory irritation.
  • I've always wondered that too Lisa. Remember when the guy who played Dr. Green on ER was on Northern Exposure as the guy who never left his bubble house?

The comment about organic compound - good to know! I bet you kick butt at Jeopardy. x:-)