Massachusetts Good Samaritan Law

what Good Samaritan laws exist in Massachusetts specifically for, if there is such a thing, Automatic External Defibrillators.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know, but if you call your local red Cross office they will know.
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I agree with DJ. There is such a thing, though we call them Automated Electrical Difibulator. AED Our Fire Dept. has them. They are a portable unit like the ones you see on TV with the paddles when they try to zap people back to life. We had a saleswoman in here yesterday trying to sell us one for every building. Yeah, right.
  • Sonny -
    You definitely need to take a good hard look at securing one for every building where you have employees. We have them and although have never had the need to use, it is readily available and all of our managers and supervisors receive annual training on proper usage. There are step by step instructions, pictures and it even orally tells you what and when to do.

It is a proven fact that the AED has been used by "untrained" individuals on numerous occasions and the success rate for resuscitation has been well over 80%. In either the Cleveland or Cincinnati airport, they were used 9 times in the first week, 8 times by an untrained person and it was successful 8 times.

I for one would not think of not having one in the workplace.

P.S. No that was not my wife or daughter that tried to sell you one.
  • I'm looking at three boxes on my office floor now labeled AUTOMATED EXTERNAL DEFIBRILLATOR. We have these nationwide and purchased them for about $3K each from Cardiac Science. Our four hour training session is next Tuesday afternoon. We're anxious to add this capability to our facility. We'll have them mounted on the wall and will have 10 people trained in their use.

Note: The preceeding is my personal opinion and has no value beyond that. Although it may be 'sorta offensive' or 'indeed offensive' to someone out there, it is offered without regard to that possibility. Should you find yourself alarmed by my post, you may privately mail me to protest or you may alert the principal's office. x:-)
  • Sorry, I didn't mean for the yeah right to sound so flip. I think it would be great. Unfortunately, I am just not sure we could talk the powers that be into the expense. Based on your comments, I will advocate in that direction should anyone ask my opinion. (which by the way, is highly unlikely. .so maybe I will just get bold and mention it.)