Excessive Absence

We have an ee who has been absent excessively, always for just 1 day. It has been addressed by the manager in her last 2 annual reviews, but is not getting better. I need to coach manager on how to address this more strictly (she is not the toughest mgr in the world -- definitely lets things go way too long) anyway: my concern is that the ee may have a legitimate health issue causing her to miss work. How can we address the absenteeism without getting into problems here? I want to recommend that the manager ask for a doctor's note from this point forward when the ee is absent. This is not a current policy (certainly one I'd like to have, I've only been here less than a year and am chipping away at these issues).... Can we do this? Any other suggestions would be most appreciated. Also: if we offer the ee part time employment (manager thinks working full time is too physically draining on her), and she refuses, is this a problem? thanks, much.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do you have an attendance policy? If yes, follow it with everyone. If no, time to write one.
    As to whether or not the ee has a genuine health issue, do you know this for sure. If yes, give the ee FMLA papers. If not, don't raise the issue (unless the ee's manager knows and hasn't told you)--but that's another issue).
  • Absolutely give her the FMLA paperwork, assuming she is eligible. If she elects to not complete and return it, then you've provided a clear route to termination should it come to that.

I'm not sure from your post how often she's absent, since you say "it's only one day"...do you have a number of employee's in the same situation? If so, you may wish to consider revising your attendance policy.

• First off, unless you plan to ask every employee who is absent to present a doctor's note when they are absent, don't do it for this employee. Begin by talking with the employee and letting them know their absences are excessive. It sounds like you don't have an attendance policy in place because if you did, the policy would dictate "excessive". Unless the employee has been calling in "sick" for these absences, I would NOT bring any medical issues into the conversation unless she brings it up first. When I have employees who are reaching a high level of absences, I typically bring them into my office, make sure they are made aware of where their attendance is and make sure they know what is expected. If there is some outside issue, they are typically the ones to bring it up and I follow through as necessary.

It sounds like this manager is making some assumptions without having all the facts. I also wouldn't say anything aboout part-time or reduced hours unless the employee lets you know they have a problem.

One last thing...wouldn't recommend putting a policy into place that requires a doctor's note for each absence. Causes alot of headaches and increases health care costs due to employees going to the doctor for "minor" illnesses. Definitely set some limit (ours is 3 days) for need to provide this information but each absence is excessive - just my opinion.
  • thanks all for the advice,
    Yes, the employee calls in sick each time, and we do believe her that she is not feeling well. But each time she is only absent for 1 day, hence not sure that FMLA works here. This is also the reason Manager (who has known ee for 4+ years) thinks full time work is "too much" for ee. (Ofcourse that is ee's decision, not ours).
  • Leslie: It reads to me that you should first explore the FMLA and the provisions for intermittent one day leave without pay. If she has worked for greater than a year and 1250 hours in that year, then she may very well be protected from any harassment or "preceived harassment for a real illness". The FMLA will have the physician to identify the need to be off one day a week, then, just schedule it and work around her absence.

Given no protection under the provisions of FMLA, then move to discipline and a letter of instruction that tells her she is needed and the position requires an employee 5 days a week. If this is not the case then move her to part-time schedule and let her decide if she needs to work 32 or 40 hours a week!

PORK
  • Pork,
    thanks,that helps a lot. We are a relatively small company (but, alas, over 50 ee's) so this is the first we've had to deal with this. It is such a 'tight rope' we walk. This particular ee is a great ee when here, but is just plain too tired to work a full week every week, due to age and previous medical problems. (if she was my own mom I'd tell her to stop working full time, but alas, cant do that as the HR person). thanks again, you've been very helpful.
  • Leslie,
    WHile I can be harsh, it sounds like you should have a talk with the employee. First off without digging to deep it sounds like FMLA would apply. If she has a good relation with her doctor, it will. :-) Second, you tread on dangerous ground for believing that working full time is to much for the employee based on age and previous physical issues. Can you say perceived disability? :-)
    "This particular ee is a great ee when here" What about working 4 days a week, or 6 hours a day? If she truely is a great employee........and due to legit reasons runs out of steam each week, utilize fmla to make the accomodation, saving you from having to change others schedules based on desire alone. You already perceive her as disabled, so you might as well have the interactive dialouge.

My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • thanks, I didnt perceive you as too harsh. I certainly state things on this forum that I would NEVER state to an ee or a manager here (ie: "due to age"....)..
    Do I perceive her as Disabled? I perceive her as unable to consistently work a 40 hour week because she has not done so in her 4 years here.
    I want to do everything we can to keep this ee, without opening a can of worms of having everyone else making special requests, or showing preferential treatment. That is why FMLA would be the perfect way to go to reduce her hours.
    Ofcourse if her Dr wont support this, then we're up a creek . good place to start though.
    thanks, much.