interns and student workers

Are there any special rules for internships, or students who work part time, as far as overtime goes. As long as they are hourly, we still pay then overtime if they work over 40 hours per week, correct? Any exceptions?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Check your state's dept. of labor or child welfare, depending on which agency oversees employed children.

Some states are very specific. In PA it says right on the minor's working papers how much they may work and when.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-17-04 AT 02:00PM (CST)[/font][br][br]If you are a public employer you may offer comp time at a 1 1/2 to 1 rate. If you are a private employer, you must pay the overtime for any time over 40 hours in a workweek. Remember workweek does not necessarily mean calendar week. There still may be an exception for you if you pay on a two week or less pay cycle. In such a case you should be able to offer the employee comp time at a rate of 1- 1/2 to 1 if the employee takes it in that same pay period. I say "should" because that's OK with our local DOL, but I see your from TX so I would call your local DOL just to make sure they have that same page and are on it.