candyland...

We have the typical set-up of vending machines in our employee lounge--packaged snacks and icecream bars. Recently I have received several phonecalls and a brochure from a local couple who have a 15 year old daughter who has Down's syndrome. They have asked if they could place a candy machine in our breakroom (at no cost to us) -- the kind where you get a handful of candy or nuts for 25 cents. The parents have set this up as business opportunity for their daughter. She is responsible for filling and cleaning the machines, with her parent's help. Evidently 10 % of the profits will be donated to Special Olympics.
Initially this sounded like a harmless proposition. I checked with our regular vending machine rep and he said he has no problem with the addition of this type of 25 cent snack machine. I'm wondering now, after reading the peanut allergy posts, if there are other factors I should consider before I say yes to the placement of the machine in our breakroom. Has anyone else on the forum been approached with this type of request?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don't sweat the peanut allergy, though I have been on vacation, and not seen the post yet, those who are allergic know it, and will avoid it.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • If the candy was made with equipment used to process nuts (or are very clearly peanuts) the product should be labeled. I don't think even those with serious allegeries will be impacted by something in a glass bubble.

I think it sounds like a good opportunity for both the girl and your company!
  • Although I don't disagree with deniseE, I wanted to point out something. I am severely allergic to seafood (especially shell fish) and I never know if the chicken I buy is being cooked on the same surface as fish. I pretty much stay away from anything deep fried as it is, so I don't worry about fish being in the same batter mix or oil as chicken, but I've never seen any warning at any restaurant regarding this. I figure I'm the one who's allergic and it's my job to protect myself. But then again, I'm not "sue happy".
  • Surely the vending machines you have already contain some type of snack containing peanuts. Most snacks that do not have peanuts carry a warning that they may contain traces as they are made in the same factory as snacks with peanuts. If you are concerned, opt for the machine with candy and not the nuts. I've seen these machines in my laundramat, they have regular M&Ms, Mike and Ikes, Skittles and other chewy snacks.

BTW...what a wonderful way for these parents to support their daughter and the Special Olympics.
  • Our ee's would probably love to have something like that since we don't have snack machines. They would be here every week filling it and our office would be about 200 pounds heavier. x:)

I wouldn't even consider the peanut allergy. YOu employ adults, at SOME POINT they need to be responsible for their own actions. This includes what they eat. If they have peanut allergies then they know what they can and can not have.

Don't sweat it. Support the cause and feel good about doing so. This is a win win anyway you look at it.
  • If you don't have any employees with peanut allergies, I wouldn't worry about it. If you DO have employees with allergies, I'd consider not allowing the nut products. Even if the nuts are normally enclosed in the glass bubble, once purchased, employees leave nut residue on the tables, etc.

I know that sounds paranoid, but like I said in the other thread, some cases are so severe that simply being near nut products can cause a reaction.

Maybe the family would consider substituting other candy instead of nut products? You can also have the snack vendors replace nut products with other treats.

Again, if you don't have any nut-allergic employees, this is not a big deal. Adults with nut anaphalaxis (sp?) would likely tell you about their allergy anyway.
  • We have one of these $.25 machines in our lunchroom as well as our usual vending machines. The employees love it because they don't have to buy an entire bag of M&Ms when they just need a little something for their sweet tooth. There are peanut products in the machine as well but we have had no problems with that either.

I think it's a great idea and it supports a great charity.