hairstyles

Will it never end??
We recently hired a young lady as a front desk receptionist in our pediatric practice. For the most part, althought unexperienced in office work, she is sweet and tries very hard. However, the rest of my staff is "freaking out" because of her hairdo.
She came into the office this week with her hair in "corn rows/braids" or whatever they are called. I have chosen not to make an issue over it, but rest of staff feels it is in extremely bad taste and make complaints to me almost every day. She's otherwise, neat, pleasant, helpful and with mentoring will do a good job.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • OK- I guess I will be the first to ask the question.

What does your dress code policy say?

My dress code policy states that when employees are hired it is partly b/c of the professional image they present. To stray from the professional image will not be tolerated... blah blah blah...Extreme hairstyles will not be tolerated. Extreme colors, etc. This would include the "corn row" look, purple hair, mohawks, the "skin head" look (shaved head and visible tattoos)dreadlocks, "oversized" afros, etc.

Review your policy and maybe you can find a loophole which will allow you to address this issue. But with the summer months coming, the braided look is very popular and can be tasteful if done correctly.
  • It worked for Bo Derek :-)
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • The next time someone complains just say : "But Mary that time you had the hairdo that look like absolute crap, we did not say anything to you". Just because they don't like it, or it does not match their style, to bad.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • As long as she is clean and neat, I would tell the others to MYOB. What is their objection, anyway? I guess I don't get bad taste.
  • My suggestion is to tell the others in the office that unless her hair is interfering with her job, there is no problem. What on earth could be wrong with braids? I've had my hair braided and its clean, neat and easy to keep off my face.

Braids are a preferred style for some minority groups; be careful if this is the case here.
  • I don't understand what the problem is? How are corn rows effecting (is it effecting or affecting, I get so confused) her work. It could be worse, she could have various face piercings. Unless you have a policy on hair, leave it alone. She could also have a tri-colored mohawk, ask them which they would prefer?
  • I have to agree with the above posts....for many ethnic groups braids are a way to keep the scalp healthy. There is a woman in my office who has them done once a year. I always think they are quite lovely...

Unless there is something very unusual about the braids....I don't think this is an "extreme" hairstyle.

• Let it go unless it presents a health or safety hazard. You stated that "She's otherwise, neat, pleasant, helpful and with mentoring will do a good job." I wish I had those qualities in all my employees. Send her my way if you don't want her.

• She's otherwise, neat, pleasant, helpful
    >and with mentoring will do a good job.
    >
    >Sounds like you have a real gem. Corn rows and/or braids are common. Actually, they are probably one of the neatest hairstyles around.
    I would be concerned about why this is "freaking out" the staff.
  • Perhaps the cornrows/braids are not the problem? Could it be that the staff just does not like this person because she does not "fit" their little mold of what she SHOULD be like (or because she is a minority)? Maybe they need a jarring into reality with some diversity awareness. It would bve a pretty dull world if all of us were exactly alike!
  • Touche' Betty.

Unless there's something extreme about the corn rows, what's wrong with it? I got the same impression Betty got. There could be more going on than the hair do.

• A few years ago I took two blond blue eyed 15 year olds to Bahamas (one of their mothers is my wife - she went along as well) and theyboth came home with corn rows. I thought it was cute as the dickens! The only thing mom was worried about was getting lice ( the year before, one of her students had actually had that happen) Neither of them did. Your staff needs a self exam.
  • Companies generally have the right to have their employees dress and groom in such a way that reflects the image they wish to portray.

Personally, if the individual was neat and clean with their hairstyle, I'd probably not object. It means a lot to have a cooperative, friendly easy to get along with employee.

I have learned in the last couple of years that I cannot hold today's employees to my standard of dress. I was raised in the conservative banking world where women were expected to dress like executives - the same as the guys. I feel very uncomfortable if I am not well groomed, with stockings, etc. I have always felt that you were judged (even if unconsciously by how you look and present yourself). I am a Brooks Brothers, Talbots kind of person, but I see very little of that in today's business world. Image and dress is a lost art in today's "Britney Spears/Janet Jackson World".
  • Well I am going to jump right in here -- the responses so far have been right on target. Objecting to braided hairstyles can be detrimental to your company and can lead to discrimination claims (some have already been won). That's the HR point of view. As an HR professional who is black, I can tell you that hair has more "implications" than you can imagine for some. Also, some of us are wearing our hair without any chemical processing (I do). It can be a confront -- because our society is not used to seeing the texture of our hair, but that does not mean there is anything wrong with it. If the employee is as you described -- there is really no reason at all to address her braided hairstyle with her. You have been given excellent advice on the Forum -- please schedule a diversity training for your staff. We all can learn to accept and even embrace our differences.
  • So, what have you decided to do? You've gotten some good advice and I agree that if she is a good employee and the hairstyle is not a direct violation of your policy, then there isn't anything you should do other than to talk to the complaining employees to find out just what it is they find offensive about it, or that you've looked into their concerns but have found that it isn't a violation of company policy.

Please provide us with an update.
  • Would agree with the comments - seem like petty complaints. Only way I would want to address it is for her (the way one of my bosses did when I first started out) benefit. I tended to dress more trendy and she pointed out that while it was cute it may cause me to be perceived in a manner that wasn't as professional. Being a young manager right out of college, I heeded her advice and am forever grateful.

For those complaining, would ask how her hair style is affecting their ability to do their work.....
  • Coming from the "old school" I sometimes have a problem accepting the way hairstyles and dress codes are so lax in the workplace these days. However, I do feel that the work ethics someone has is much more important than the color of hair, a tatoo or a piercing. Since this employee works a front desk and deals with the public I would be more concerned if the customers were complaining. Since it is the staff tell them to do their jobs and not be so concerned as to how someone else styles their hair!
  • I agree with the other posters. Maybe some of your employees find the hairstyle unattractive, but if it's not unprofessional then it's not a problem. Can't tell you how many times I've looked at someone's outfit and thought "Geez - I'd never wear that" but the outfit is not necessarily unprofessional.

A former employee used to wear braids with long extensions of varying shades of blonde and brown. I wouldn't have chosen the look for myself, but the style kept her hair out of her face and always looked neat. A manager (not her own) didn't like her hair and wanted her to change it. Her supervisor told him to back off.