English Only Policies

Several of our employees speak both English and Spanish and a small group of bi-lingual employees have recently started talking among themselves in Spanish in staff meetings, in work areas, and in at the front reception desk. Whether intended or not, the effect is to exclude non-Spanish speaking employees and customers and the supervisor believes their comments may also undermine her authority.

We are thinking about implementing an English-only policy in work spaces and public access areas, with an exception for helping customers who are more confortable speaking another language. Has anyone tried this? Do you have any other suggestions for handling the situation?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have not implemented this but some things to be aware of first put it in your ee policies/handbook. You must allow them to speak spanish on their breaks and lunch or again with customers who are affluent in spanish.

But otherwise you should not have a problem with this except from the spanish speaking ee's that is.

I believe there was an article or thread last month on this you may want to do a search.

Lisa
  • It's my understanding that there must be a legit business reason for implementing an English Only policy.
  • Not knowing Spanish, I do not feel excluded when our factory employees speak to each other in Spanish at work or during breaks . They all know at least some basic English.

Neither should they feel excluded when I take the Company's business clients into the factory that are more comfortable speaking Cebuano.

To those people that complain about being excluded : there are better things to complain about. I am against workplace English only policies .

Chari
  • Deal with it as a performance issue since that is what it is. Talk to the people who are speaking Spanish and explain that doing this in meetings when others don't understand can be disruptive because the others don't know whether business or personal stuff is being discussed. Tell the complainers that they are paranoid - just kidding.
  • This was just addressed a week or so ago. Pretty much the same senario. I would suggest a search to get some more feedback.

But yes, you need to have a business purpose, such as around English speaking patients only English should be spoken so they do not feel alienated or uncomfortable. Yes, in America, Americans don't particularly like it when people speak another language in front of them when it isn't necessary.

To limit it to all the time is not allowed. They must be allowed to speak their native language where it is not "business related" break rooms, locker room, back of the house, etc.

But as mention, try a search for this, it was discussed just recently.