Ideas for a Chamber of Commerce Program

My boss and I are going to participate in a Chamber of Commerce Program called Educators in the Workplace. We will have about 30 teachers here on site. We will give them a tour, tell them about our company and what types of jobs we have, etc. We also need to tell them how to prepare our youngsters to go out and get a job. I have done about a million (well not exactly, but it feels that way) interviews so I definitely have strong opinions on what to tell these teachers. I am just looking for ideas from everyone, maybe something new and creative that I haven't thought of. Maybe some of you have participated in programs like this. As always thanks for all of your help.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I do something similar a couple of times every year, except with students, not the teachers. But, your program gives me the idea to set up something with teachers, too. Sounds like you are on the right track. When I talk to the kids, I ask them what they want to do when out of school. After the tour, I ask them what they liked best and if they could have any job in our company, what would it be and why. I would encourage the teachers to first of all organzize field trips to various employers and have them ask some of the same questions I ask. I also go over some of the problems that we deal with in the workplace really hitting on attendance and explaining why that is important to us. Teachers would do business a great service if they understood what our concerns were and addressed them, too.
  • Do a search on this - maybe under students. When ray did this last year he posted and there were some great ideas shared.
  • That was back in January. The thread title was "Educating the young'uns".