Employee Theft

Does anyone have a formal "anti-theft" policy?

Over the past two weeks, I have had two instances where employees took unapproved short term loans from their cash banks (that's the charming way of saying they stole money with the intent to put it back later) and one instance where an employee took an expensive watch that was left behind by a guest instead of handling it appropriately through our Lost & Found Department.

I want to create a formal policy and then have all employees attend a training session that defines for them exactly what theft is (i.e. riding the clock, punching another employees time card when they are late or leaving early, use of company equipment for personal use (long distance phone calls/computer use, etc.) as well as the more obvious instances such as mishandling of cash and company or guest property.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me!

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Even without a policy, I'd feel comfortable taking severe disciplinary action for the "short term loans" and taking the watch home.

If you define "exactly what theft is", then somebody will take an item not on the list and claim it's not theft and then you are stuck arguing about it. I'm not sure I'd even do a training session - just issue the policy and make sure everyone signs it.

Theft is taking anything that you don't own. Back in my hotel days, we took disciplinary action for infractions as minor as taking leftover food from a guest's fridge. (Gross, I know.)
  • Here's our policy - or at least the parts that apply to your question...

"Any action resulting in management's reasonable belief that the employee has engaged in conduct deemed inappropriate by Sunrise including, but not limited to, the following may result in immediate termination:

- Theft"

• ANY act of theft, no matter how small, will result in immediate dismissal.
  • Even without a formal theft policy, I assume that you train employees what to do with the company's money and lost and found items. I'd fire all three, or at least suspend them for a week for violating procedures. Then reiterate your existing policies to the remaining employees without mentioning the recently departed. That would be more effective than a truckload of policies.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Don't get too wrapped around the axle on this. If you spend too much time attempting to define and re-define behaviors that are customarily understood and accepted to be inappropriate/unacceptable then you risk creating an avalanche. Next thing you know you will have to define things such as aggravated assault or the exact definition of lying.

Just my nickel's worth this morning from the beautiful city of Atlanta.

G.R.
  • I agree with Whatever, she put it very succinctly.
  • Once a thief, always a thief. They borrowed the money eh? Borrowing something, in my book means asking someone. Not only would I fire, in those cases you should consider prosecuting.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Whatever hit it - zero tolerance.
  • You don't need to have a specific policy to cover every circumstance, particularly with something like this. There are societial norms that pretty much define the act of stealing.....we know when we see it. If the evidence is solid I would terminate the employees in question.
  • Here is our formal theft policy.
    "You steal - You're fired!"
  • I'd also terminate. When I worked for a bank, from time to time tellers would "borrow" money from their drawer with the intentions of putting it back. They also borrowed from customer's accounts and put it back. It's bad enough to steal to begin with, but usually they end up eventually "borrowing" more than they can put back - then instead of borrowing, it's called "embezzelment".

I don't think any type of policy except "YOU'RE FIRED!" is necessary.