Insurance Paperwork

I have a problem / disagreement with my boss that I would like to gain opinions about.

Recently, my company went through our annual insurance renewal period. Everything went well considering about a 23% increase in health benefits. All of the employees (a total of 33) completed their health and dental insurance enrollment forms and turned them into to me on the date that I requested them back.

Here is my problem; about 1 week after our insurance renewal was complete, my boss proposed that I completed all employees’ insurance paperwork in the future. He stated that he would like me to complete the paperwork for them and basically have them sign on the dotted line. My issue with that proposal is that I feel employees need to complete the paperwork themselves so that they understand the full process of how the insurance “ball” works. Also, I think that employees need to make their own decisions; I already do a lot for them to help make a decision (i.e. benefit statements, presentations; they are able to contact me at home on the weekend if they are discussing benefits with their spouses, etc.) In addition, he would like me to also fill out 401(k) enrollment paperwork – AHH!

My boss is convinced that many HR departments’ complete employees’ insurance paperwork for them and his view was that he doesn’t “want to pay two people to complete insurance paperwork – that is what I [he] pay me to do”.

As a solution to the problem, I am thinking about coming to a meeting of the minds and developing a page(s) on our company web site and have employees enroll on-line since I know that is actually what most companies do.

What is everyone’s thought on this situation?

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't complete the forms for the employees and I'd be surprised if the other HR Experts out there do.

I agree that if you do it for them, most will trust you to have read their minds and won't check what you filled out. Whose problem will it be if you didn't know they wanted to make a change or you marked the wrong box?

You don't have to pay an employee for the time they spend with the forms - they can take them home or do it on a break, can't they?

I do try to make it as easy as possible for them by hilighting the areas they need to complete.
  • I did that also; I highlighted all of the areas that they needed to complete and most of them stopped by my office to discuss the paperwork also which I always encourage.

My thought is the same as yours; I think that the employee should complete the paperwork at home or on a break. I gave them a 7 day lag time between the insurance presentation and the time that I needed the forms back. I think that it is the most beneficial to the employee to take the paperwork home and fill it out with their spouses. I feel they can make a better / more informed decision.
  • We also do not complete the insurance paperwork for employees. We explain our benefits thoroughly and arm them with all the information they need to make an informed decision. We may assist them, if they do not understand something, etc., but the decisions they make concerning benefits are theirs. We also encourage employees to stop by or call HR at any time with questions.

(I know my HR colleagues in this area do not complete paperwork for employees, either.)

• We do not fill out insurance paperwork for the ee's. One good reason is if any info changes, such as their address, that is usually when it comes out. Would your filling out the paperwork include making their insurance selections- plan choice, pre-tax election and or dependent coverage? I could only see negative coming out of that situation.

Your boss may have a point if HR's only function is to shuffle paperwork. If you do spend time contributing to the bottom line, I would argue that your wasting your time. Good luck, your boss sounds like a winner. x:D
  • can you see the lawsuit now when an employee says i didn't fill out the form. all i did was sign it and it wasn't what i wanted..........yadda yadda yadda.

highlighting the employee's options is more than enough.
    ps/i'm the plan administrator and can tell you that you are putting the company is law suit danger if any problems arise.
  • In addition to the problems addressed above, the enrollment forms used by our underwriter used to involve disclosing medical conditions. No way you should get involved in that deal.

Determining dependent coverage issues is a biggie, plus if anything is wrong or some election turned against the EE, guess who is on the hook?
  • We complete some of the paperwork & highlight the areas that the ee's need to complete.

For instance, we complete the group name, ID, Group information (date of ee hire, entered eligible class). We complete the ee information and the prior coverage information (if they were covered under a previous plan of ours). The ee completes the enrollment information, medicare info if applicable, other coverage info and signs and dates the application. With our dental insurer, we did the enrollment electronically & just kept the signed doc's for file. We do it as a service, but, we are a small company of about 108 folks, so it's easier to do than for larger companies.
  • While I agree with the others not to do it, I come at this from a different angle.

I worked for a large office furniture manufacturer, about 40% of the 400+ employees did not speak or write English. They would bring their apartment rental forms, legal documents, various forms and letters to HR. My supervisor gave our department the directive that we were to complete all of the forms, work related or not. That way our employees produce more and are not worrying about what a letter said or filling out silly forms.

Well we closed our plant, we released a bunch of people who can't fill out simple forms. Who will help them now??? No one! This was bad for the employees and made them less desirable than those who could complete simple forms.

Now having a year and a half to think about it. It was wrong then and wrong now.

In my new position I just don't do it. People have to know how to get around in the world and I do them no favors by doing by doing it all for them.
  • I don't get it. If I moved to France, the first thing I would want to do is learn French. I would watch French TV, study books in French in the library, and talk to native French speakers. I wouldn't feel comfortable living there until I knew the language at least PRETTY well. Even if I knew a whole gob of English speaking folks who lived there, I would still want to know what the news was saying, what my boss was saying, what that commercial for the new tooth paste was all about, etc. Is it just me?
  • I have had a similar viewpoint for years, and because we are such a large nation many of us have been insulated from having to know anything but English to be able to communicate. A person can drive thousands of miles and not have to know any other language.

In Europe, by comparison, a person can drive just a couple of hours and cross more than one border. You could quickly encounter the need to speak German, French, English, Spanish, Portugese, Italian, etc, etc.

I am a proponent of English in the workplace, but I recognize a growing necessity to speak Spanish just to be able to know what it going on around me. Sadly my 6th and 7th grade spanish classes have not served me well in this regard. Perhaps I should take some Spanish as a second language classes?
  • I have been required by my employer to take a conversational spanish class because 35% of our workforce speaks Spanish only (we have 3 bilingual employees, all Mexicans who speak fluent english now)

I am a strong proponent of English only in the workplace and paying for ESL courses for our employees and am working toward that goal for safety purposes among other things. However, since starting this class, I have been able to convey simple messages to our employees without stupid handsignals or speaking like I"m talking to a 2 year old. It's been a good feeling actually.

I am still encouraging those folks to take ESL - they live here, they should speak the language to a passable level at least. I can't translate every form they have to fill out.

Tammy
  • The key word is "responsibility". Employees should be responsible for their own benefits, be it enrollment, problems with claims, etc. I tell my employees to contact the insurance company themselves to solve the problem. If they still can't get it solved then I will get involved. I believe employees should take some responsibility for their own matters. I am tired of being a babysitter, hand-holder, crutch, etc. Also, I have found that the more you do for people the more they expect. I will only go so far and make the employees take on some of the responsibility themselves.

Everyone above is correct. If you complete the paperwork and something is wrong, it will be your fault even thought they signed it. You know people don't read what they sign. Your completing the forms for them is not a good idea.