letter of resignation

I had an ee resigns on no notice. She left 3 letters stating why she was leaving. Two of the letters I have put in her file. The other letter was given to the general office manager (also her friend). As of today the general office manager has not submitted that letter to go in the file.
I believe that it does need to be there, I just want to make sure that since they are friends that I have the authority to say that i need to have the letter to place in the file.

Thanks.
-T

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, it should go in the file. Is there a possibility that the letter contains disclosure that should be investigated? Unless you or others in your chain of command are the subject of the investigation, HR should definitely be in the loop.

I suppose one could make a case for not putting the letter in if it was a personal letter to the office manager and someone in authority could determine there was nothing in the letter that would need follow-up or that might be evidence in some future litigation. But I think that is a weak arguement.
  • That's what I thought.
    Thank you for the reply.

-T
  • Is there anything different in the letter she gave to the general office manager that wasn't stated in the 2 letters you already have in her file? If not, why do you need yet another copy of the same letter in the file that basically states she's resigning and here's why? I often receive the letters from managers simply because they don't want them, but if they received a personalized note separate from formal resignation letter, I wouldn't ask them to send it to me for filing. Not sure that I see the need for that,, again assuming there's nothing different in the letters.
  • Yeah, that was my question: Was it three copies of the same letter? If so, there's no need...if not you can remind the manager that the letter is company property and needs to get to HR as soon as possible.
  • LET'S NOT MAKE A "MOUNTAIN OUT OF A MOLE HILL"; if one does not want to be NOSEY about what one friend may have said to another upon departing the company, then accept that the third copy of the letter is the same as the other two and you don't need it at all. I for one HR would not blink an eye at the ownership of the third letter. If the BOSS has something in his letter to be investigated, then you can bet and trust that the investigation will be done. If there is nothing in the letter then the BOSS is also well aware that there is a secure file in which this letter is to be placed, it will be done. If there is some special loves, kisses, and suggestions for further "HOG PLAY", then so be it and it is none of the companies'.

MAY WE ALL HAVE A MORE BLESSED DAY AND STOP WATCHING THE DAILY SOAPS; OUR BLOOD IS BECOMING CONTAMINATED WITH THIS STUFF!

PORK
  • A good point is made about it being 3 copies of the same letter. I did not read the post that way, but if it is indeed three copies of the same letter, more copies are not needed.

I took it to be a separate letter and am concerned that it may contain reference to matters that may require some sort of company follow-up.
  • MARC: Trust your BOSS and let him/her come to you with guidance. You have got enough on your plate with out shoveling more on your plate than you can stand.

PORK
  • I agree with that sentiment. In this case, I read the general office manager was not the boss. If it were General Manager, then OK. You are right about the stuff on my plate, I try not to borrow trouble, enough finds it's way to my door all by itself.