supervisor/subordinate romance

At one of our locations, we have a supervisor/subordinate romance that has been going on for about 2 years. It has been creating a problem with co-workers at that location..specifically- favoritism -the subordinate is allowed to play solitaire or do nothing at all, while others have to really put their noses to the grind stone to get their work done, allowed to leave early etc. Can we transfer the subordinate to another location-legally. The location would actually be closer to the subordinates home. We do not have any policy regarding office relationships

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, but why not deal with the real problem - the supervisor, the relationship with a subordinate and the favoritism. You may appear to be "punishing" the employee with a transfer when the problem is the other person, not a good thing if a sexual harassment charge arrives at some point.
  • We have discussed this at length, but have been reluctant to address to much of the problem directly to the supervisor, for fear of retaliation towards one specific employee, the supervisor would no doubt -know who was complaining- it is a small branch. the supervisor would make this employee's job very difficult and it would create a bad atmosphere for everyone involved. this supervisor & subordinate live together and rule this office. it really is a bad situation which we have tip toed around for too long. this supervisor has been with our company for 12 yrs
  • FREYH8: It is time to grab the "Hog by the ear" and move the supervisor to a new location and put an equal opportunist in the place to run a tight ship, fairly. After relocating the supervisor a senior manager needs to have a "heart to heart or come to me" meeting. Office romance should never be allowed to fester and become a "boil" under everyone skin. You could move the ee and that would certainly cause greater concerns within the office. You are better to defend your organization by ordering management to new locations verse labor.

PORK
  • I am not feeling well so maybe I am grumpy but my question is why should anyone give you advice when you already seem to know what you need to do but won't do it?

Your HR! We are crusaders for truth, justice, and the American way.

This supervisor and subordinate situation stinks. Get in there and kick some bu##! Don't punish the employee who raised these concerns by transfering him/her. Put on your cape and lay the smack down.

Life is too short to be afraid of your supervisors.
  • I think we should drug test Paul for reasonable suspicion! :-)
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I've always said I was a positive person and I have the drug test to prove it.
  • Paul - that is one of my favorite phrases "lay the smack down!"

Whether it's the sub or sup that is transferred, make sure there isn't any retaliation to the complaining employee. This situation alone is a lawsuit waiting to happen, but mix in some retaliation and you're totally screwed.
  • Get your story straight RinderCella. Yesterday you told me one of my phrases was your favorite! I don't know if I trust the post. It seems too simple to solve the problem. What HR person would not be able to answer his own question if this existed? Is the poster serious when he says the guy has 12 years? Does that imply he is untouchable? Break up this workplace crap before it affects the bottom line and costs you your job; if in fact this is a real situation.
  • This supervisor must walk on water! First you describe a relationship that shows a total lack of regard for the effect this inappropriate relationship has on the business. If the favoritism is that blatant, I am apalled that your company would allow it. And then, you want to tiptoe around the solution because you think the supervisor would engage in more inappropriate behavior, like retaliation. Do you hear how you are opening yourself up to further exposure to the complaining EE? Then there is the exposure to sexual harassment from the EE playing solitaire for a living. What a job.

I am with Don on this one, the post reads a bit like a template.
  • Oh Don, don't be jealous now. I like "big time" just as much as I like "lay the smack down". xhugs
  • I agree. Lay the smack down, big time! But, Paul, be careful, you may be running people off with that assertive attitude you're suddenly displaying.

I can't help noticing the comment, "The supervisor and subordinate rule this office". That's alarming. Who allowed this culture to develop? Better yet, who will change it?

• The supervisor has to go...period. I was fired for this same situation many years ago and it was the best thing that could have happened to both of us. I was the plant manager, I was wrong, I put the company in huge danger, the situation was a festering boil, and morale tanked. I can also tell you that the supervisor and the subordinate are miserable with the ongoing situation. Not eachother, mind you.....the situation. When I was fired it was a relief for both of us.

Fast forward to today: We have been happily married for 13 years, my wife still works there, she is now a production supervisor, and I accompany her to the company functions where we talk about "the good ole' days".