email and hostile work environment

Sorry for the length.

In just a few minutes I will be meeting with our Exec Dir, our top two Program Directors, and our IT manager.

It seems that during a recent email audit, which was requested by a supervisor, spanning a two month period, discovered a large volume of the typical types of jokes that you often find in your email boxes. These were your standard jokes offending blondes, cubans, lesbians, men, women, politicians, etc. Very few protected classes were left out.

We have a detailed policy about the appropriate use of technology, including email, internet, phones, PDA's, etc. that clearly spells out our approach to this. Over the past couple of years, several staff have been written up and one person was even fired citing inappropriate use of the internet along with some other performance issues. It has been over a year since any incident of this nature has been documented.

We do not strictly prohibit personal use of the email or the internet, just prohibit it from interfering with work and confine it to breaks, lunch hours and other personal time.

The IT manager says the receipt and sending of this type of offensive material is found at all levels of the organization, including top management personnel.

I, of course, chime in with the exposure we have in the event of litigation with all of this being present not only on personal computers, but in all of the back-up files that we maintain for years and years. That more than 50% of all lawsuits in the courts are employment related and that many harassment and hostile work environment claims are largely based on electronic evidence.

The Exec Dir will want us to focus on performance issues with respect to these write-ups and not delve into significant discipline for the offenders.

What is your take on this?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi Marc - unless you can get everyone on board, it will be an uphill battle to keep this from happening in the future. At my company, we really cracked down about 14 months ago - even went so far as to have folks sign a document & added it to their files. I thought the issue was over as I stopped receiving the emails. Turns out, it just went underground (I don't know why this surprised me as I'm usually pretty cynical, but it did). They stopped including me in the list as well as a few other folks that they thought would have a problem with the emails (read: Tell). Unfortunately, this underground activity came to light recently with of all things an email involving Janet Jackson & Michael Jackson. Seems the sender accidently included the IT manager in the send group & he promptly sent it to me. The lesson learned is this, you can try to take the nice approach, but really, you just have to follow your company's policies on this issue. Our technology policy states that missuse of the email system will result in a written write-up or possibly termination. Our policies on sexual harassment and discrimination state zero tolerance. Until your company is ready to take the necessary steps, what your Exec., will only allow the issue to continue in your organization. Just my thoughts.
  • Of course mwild is right, but, why isn't it a performance issue, particularly if the use of the net is on time other than breaks etc.? Or, change the policy and prohibit the use in the future because it has been abused, and cite the records youv'e jusst uncovered. It ought, at least, make e/ees worry about discovery of their use. But, as mwild says, if the top won't support, then there is no use. Without some sort of warning or writeup or action, it will get worse.
  • Thanks for the responses, you both have hit the nail on the head. I just got out of the referenced meeting and it went better than I expected. I did not get everything I wanted, but got enough to get support for a general tightening, an annual mandatory training related to the issue, including a mandatory EE sign-off about the training and the policy, and a commitment to follow our existing policies with respect to disciplining future occurences.

Sort of a moratorium for the past indiscretions, but I did not really expect to get to discipline the current offenders. My other big concern is that we not bury our heads in the sand and think that the 'going underground' will not occur. So we are going to revisit our policy about how we random audit and the steps we will take when we get the offending results.

All in all, it went well even though I think some verbal warnings would have been appropriate. The Exec Dir is rightly concerned with poor morale that could be grown out of too heavy a hand being applied. You know, person x being disciplinedand person y skating.