Absenteeism Running Rampant

Our front desk receptionist has been out more than she has been in or at least it seems like it. She has used up every second of her accrued leave time (we have 15 sick days, 20 vacation days, 4 personal days). Her supervisor refuses to write her up because he says she has personal and medical problems. This is true as of this current absence (out 3 days as of today) but is not true of her past lack of attendance. He doesn't know why she is out, just says she has called in sick and will bring back a doctor's note when she returns on Monday. I say he should begin to write her up for poor attendance regardless of the current reason given her past sporadic attendance record. That unless she goes on FMLA (she has some FMLA time left) or has an ADA protected illness (remains to be seen) she should be written up. It isn't that I have no compassion for this ee. But we have an office to run and her absence creates havoc and distention each and every time she is out. Due to the fact that she is out so much the other staff has come to resent any time they need to spend at the front desk. Your thoughts please.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If her lack of being there is causing major problems, and you have support from above, write up her supervisor. Let it be know that the inability to manage/discipline the employee will negatively impact their performance review.
    15 days of sick leave? You are very generous.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I agree with Balloonman. This is a management problem. If management will not enforce the rules then the rules will be abused. Furthermore, it creates problems for other supervisors to follow the rules.
  • We use a rolling leave accrual system...so you don't get all your days upfront...when we have employees near -0- leave availablity, we place them on "leave restriction"...it forbids any kind of leave except in a medical emergency situation, which must be documented by a doctor...and even in that situation, they may not use more than the amount of leave immediately available (with FMLA exception, of course).

Typically, this runs for 3-6 months and helps the employee earn some leave time and build up the bank...also provides incentive to be at work...and it helps our supervisors be less subjective when dealing with leave situations.

The employee is advised in writing of the restrictions and requirements and signs a document indicating her understanding of the policy...

We've had good success with this....
  • I feel your pain. We've had the same problem here for some time. Part of the problem is, you have too much leave. It's very hard to discipline someone for taking leave that they are entitled to take. We actually cut our sick leave in half due to the abuse, which resulted in a very hostile staff. They complained that everyone was being penalized for the poor management of those who were abusing the generous sick leave we offered. We agreed with them that it was a management problem and that we would reinstate the sick leave but if the abuse continued, we would take it back again. So far so good. You need to talk to your management staff and let them know this is their problem.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-04-04 AT 10:18AM (CST)[/font][br][br]we are governed by union contract here and one would think it would be easier, but it isn't because the contract language isn't being enforced. Given her front desk position and the havoc her being absent creates in the office, does anyone see a problem with building progressive discipline and letting her go for poor attendance?
  • I am assuming that the ee's job is covered by union contract. We, also, have a union. We, however, have absentee/tardiness rules and we enforce them. This still appears to be management problem. If management will not enforce the contract, then abuse will occur. However, I don't see how you can have one attendance policy for someone at the front desk and different one for someone else. Consistency in enforcement is essential. Therefore, if you are planning to discipline just one person, it won't work.
  • 15 sick days, 20 vacation days, 4 personal days....where do I sign up??!!
  • There is no reason you cannot begin progressive discipline.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • >There is no reason you cannot begin progressive
    >discipline.
    >My $0.02 worth.
    >DJ The Balloonman

Except that the Union will scream that management has given tacit approval for the EE's behavior by it's own inaction, AND that the policy is being selectively enforced. My advice is for you to start from square one with the Manager. Let that person know in the strongest terms to start enforcing the policies, then let the work force know that the policies will be enforced starting now. No matter how you slice it, you cannot solve this problem without getting the manager in line.