disgruntled employee

I am in the need of some advice. I have an employee who is very unhappy, has made that quite known by making comments to other employees that she hates it here. She is looking for another job and the reason I know is because of the way she has been acting we started phone monitoring her and we have heard the conversations. We also have the right to email monitor and because this person is under investigation at this time we looked into the emails and also have documentation of her stating that she does not like it here and can't wait to get another job. Her attendance is not terrible, her productivity is not terrible although she complains about taking 30 phone calls a day, which is nothing for our company. She also sighs everytime she is given work like we are putting her out. I really just want to let her go. I would really like some opinions on this please.
Thank you.

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Are you saying that you are listening in on the content of her personal phone conversations without her knowledge ??

Chari
  • maybe you could offer her the opportunity to resign with a couple perks and a confidentiality clause...get rid of the problem and she's out of a job she hates....

what is the rest of the workforce morale like?
  • No, we did not listen to the whole conversation we obviously heard the front of the conversation when the lady said she called about the resume she submitted and when we logged back after 15 minutes they were just wrapping up saying I will see you tomorrow remember to bring a clean copy of your resume, thank you good bye.
    I know we cannot listen to the personal calls, we just put this together from what we heard. But I also have emails that state she is looking for another job.
  • Don't be concerned about monitoring the phone calls - that's not an issue as long as you have a policy that says you reserve the right to do so, company communications are for company business only, employee's received a copy of the policy, blah, blah, blah. I think my approach would be to confront the employee with what I know (overheard conversations and hard copies of "smoking gun" emails) and terminate the employment based upon the fact she's using company resources to pursue another job. She obviously is not happy, so sever the relationship.
  • Geez, I know companies do this (monitoring), but I really hate it. Without technology, you already have enough information to either counsel her or let her go:

"has made that quite known by making comments to other employees that she hates it here."

"She also sighs everytime she is given work like we are putting her out."

Has anyone in management spoken to this employee? Has anyone tried to figure out why she hates it so much?
  • We have spoken to her several times and I think that is where this all came from. When she was first hired she had some issues following procedures, we addressed that, then we had to talk to her about dress code several times, we have had to talk to her about logging into her phone late and we even had to talk to her about the chit chat all day with other team members because it was disturbing other teams around them. In January, this team lost 2 people, they voluntarily left for jobs closer to their home and we found some more procedures that were not being followed but we did not let her go because we needed her then. Now we are still getting this attitude and we don't need her. I just don't feel good letting her after waiting but if we keep her she is just bringing down other staff members with her.
  • Sounds let this ee has been a problem from the get go. Currently it's an attitude problem. If the ee is unhappy with the job (not to mention looking for another job), you will probably always have some sort of issue with her. I think the time has come to terminate.
  • I would sit her down and let her know you are aware that she no longer enjoys working with you. Ask her to please find another job or change her attitude. Give her two weeks to do one or the other.

I don't want to work with people who "hate" working in my organization. Thats a morale killer.
  • "Sally, have a seat. I know that you totally hate us - and we hate you too - believe me. Your attitude is in the toilet and frankly, we're sick of you. We would like to present you with two options: A) pack your bags or B) change that 'tude!" x:D

In all seriousness, I think Paul is on the right track here. Just sit her down and tell her you realize she's not happy and that you encourage her to find a place where she can be. I like the idea of giving her two weeks to either find another job or do a 180 (which of course she won't) is a great idea. Let us know how it turns out.
  • Save the 'dance' for the club. Don't waste your time setting her down and for sure don't waste your time asking her to change her attitude. Much less giving her 2 weeks to do it. People don't change attitudes. Her's is poisonous to herself and is beginning to poison the atmosphere there. Cut her loose and wish her well.
  • I agree with Don. Why wait two weeks? I doubt she'll be productive and it sets a bad example for the other employees.
  • I agree with Don.
    Why wait? She won't change and if she does it is only because she hasn't found another job and is trying to stay until she does and then leave you in the lurch.
    Cut the her loose NOW.
    Once you do the morale in your office will improve greatly.

Lisa
  • I like the two weeks thing b/c the original poster said that although this ee has been "talked to" (does that mean there's documentation? I don't know) but they kept her on when they were in a pinch when they should have let her go. They made a mistake not following through with progressive discipline and now they are (as the poster has told us) nervous about terming her "for no reason". I say if they're nervous about that, then do the two week thing. We all know she won't change her attitude - and she might not get another job in that time either, but who cares? By then she will be out of the company's hair and doesn't have anything to stand on for "wrongful termination", "no documentation in my file", "never talked to about progressive discipline up to and including termination" or something like that. I'm not dancing around the issue, I'm just saying that if you're in a pickle and your nervous about what the outcome of termination will be then find a reasonable way to do it that is comfortable for you.
  • "We have spoken to her several times and I think that is where this all came from. When she was first hired she had some issues following procedures, we addressed that, then we had to talk to her about dress code several times, we have had to talk to her about logging into her phone late and we even had to talk to her about the chit chat all day with other team members because it was disturbing other teams around them. In January, this team lost 2 people, they voluntarily left for jobs closer to their home and we found some more procedures that were not being followed but we did not let her go because we needed her then. Now we are still getting this attitude and we don't need her. I just don't feel good letting her after waiting but if we keep her she is just bringing down other staff members with her."

It sounds to me as though you've done your part to try and bring this ee around & she's not willing to turn the corner on attitude. You say you don't feel good about letting her go now because you allowed her to stay on in the past due to business necessity, but I say, hey, get over it. x:-) If during that time she had 'shined' we wouldn't be talking now. It sounds like her attitude stunk then, stinks now and now you don't need her. If your policies allow, I would quickly terminate.
  • Don't give her two weeks to change, require immediate improvement or terminate now. Otherwise you may find that you have given her the next two weeks to make your life a living hell. It is not like she doesn't know what she has been doing. Time to let her know actions have consequences
  • Thank you all for your input. It helped a great deal. We did let her go last evening with the thinking that if we give her the option then we are allowing her to then tell bring more people down with her so it is better just to cut ties. Thanks again for all your help!
  • You made the right decision!
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • You sure did!! Run out and buy donuts for everyone. Send me the tab.