CONDITIONAL JOB OFFERS

When is it inappropriate to rescind a conditional job offer?

Generally, when a conditional job offer is extended, specific criteria are provided to the candidate stating what conditions must be met in order for the offer to become an appointment. If you decide to rescind the offer for some other condition not indicated, is this inappropriate?

Thank you.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • MLAJOHNSON: If I had extended a job offer with conditions in written format, I would think that the company would have to back up your written job offer with conditions. Coming up with new conditions would not sit well with any judge or jury. Big question, did you run your letter of offer by the concerned staff (DEPARTMENT HEADS) before you mailed or delivered the offer? Who extended the job offer, was the offer in writing format? If not written you might be able to claim a bad mis-understanding. However, if the new conditions has caused me financial issues and concerns, you can bet I am "beat footing" to the attorney's office.

Gooooood luck!

PORK
  • On the surface, I would say yes. You see, you run into some tricky dealings with job offer letters - conditional or not. There was a case I read about a year ago - not sure if it was from the Law Update or from SHRM, but the issue was the ee received the letter & moved his family, but after moving the job was no longer available. The ee was able to recoup costs as the letter became a type of contract (not an attorney - so don't know the lingo). You can do a search on here or with SHRM, but I think your best bet is to contact your company's employment attorney. This way they can look at the wording & the pros/cons.