Dr.'s note for forthcoming

This relates to an earlier post of mine where the ee's doctor called me and advised me the ee was not to cover the front desk due to the stress it caused her. I requested a written note from the doctor stating the period of time he felt she would need the relief and he agreed to fax it that day. It has been 5 days now and no note has been received. I have advised the ee that I need the note. I plan to call the doctor personally and ask for the note. Am I clear to do this?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Since it seems that you've spoken with him before, and you're just following up on paperwork, I don't see that it would be a problem...but to protect yourself, it might not hurt to have either the ee make the call or be present when you call.

• I wouldn't call myself. I would have the employee call. Advise the employee that you have not received the statement. Tell her that she has until (date) to present the statement; if no statement is received by that time, she will be expected to perform the duties assigned to her.
  • Rockie is exactly right! Leave it to the employee to get the statement, or she will be expected to perform the assigned duries ... period.
  • I would issue the standard FMLA paperwork to the ee and advise her to take it and get it filled out and bring it back within 15 days from the date of your original request for information. The form stands alone as having enough information, if completed correctly, upon which to base a decision. You want to be careful not to wind up with 'notes' from a doctor supplanting your standard FMLA procedures. If you wind up with that you'd not be able to manage consistency.
  • Appreciate the responses. However, she hasn't missed any time due to this condition so that does not warrant FMLA.
  • I'm not sure where you want to go with this. Are you looking at this "condition" as a disability and are you looking to accommodate the change in duties? I would be careful because the next thing you know half of your employees will run to a doctor and get a note exempting them from certain duties they just don't like. Are you willing to accommodate them all if that happens? Just remember that if you treat the EE as if she's disabled, then she is. I sear I know 10 doctors in Philly that will sign a note saying I'm from Jupiter if I cough up the co-pay. 'Course they might say that anyway, but that's beside the point.
  • I find myself in agreement with the man from Jupiter. Sorry, I had assumed she might be missing some intermittent time. Don't know where I got that notion. I'd tell her that the job she is wanting to be excused from is an essential function of her job and move on. Next move, hers.