Hostile Work Environment

Situation: Small office with 6 people. 4 out of 6 resigned at once. Boss hurt, thus won't trust remaining ee. EE feels scared/afraid to lose job, as ee wants to stay with company/position. Boss hires new staff and talks, laughs, works great with everyone except original ee. Boss re-delegates responsibilities to new staff from ee (that had been that persons responsibility for 2 years). Boss publicly tells ee not to attend staff meetings because it involved HR strategies, then again, reiterates that this ee isn't part of HR core (admin secretary). EE is above average employee with no disciplinary problems - well liked by other employees.

Is this case for hostile environment? Any suggestions to ee?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • To be a hostile environment, takes more than simply a perception of hostility. It's a legal term. It would have to involve something more than simply a feeling of being frozen out. If the environment is a sexually charged atmosphere it might be. Or if the actions of others make one extremely uncomfortable for reasons related to race, it might be. You said you worked at a place that employed six people. Four of them left. That left two. One must be the boss. If I did the math correctly that other person is you. Try this, "Hey, what the hell's up with these meetings I'm never included in? How about if I join you guys?"
  • I agree with Don D. it seems the person shut out is you ( perception from thread) I would have a heart to heart with the boss and express your desire to remain part of his/her team.

If the perception is wrong, then you should still express your feelings with the boss regarding the other ee.

I would not threaten or accuse the boss just bring it to the open. The boss is probably feeling betrayed by the others who left and may not trust your intentions. Put it out there from your perspective. See what happens.

Good Luck!
    Lisa
  • Yes, you and Don are correct. I already had the "talk" with the boss three months ago, which is when I discovered his reasonings. He thought that I knew of their planned departures, when in fact, he knew before I did. Matter of fact, he was very surprised when I told him that I had been afraid of being dismissed since the Mass Exodus. At first, he appeared to try to involve me with the group, but his actions and comments speak clearer and clearer each day. I think that once he made up his mind, there was no going back. Problem? Yes! I haven't done anything wrong, and I really like this position. I feel like I am being penalized. I think he is trying to be-little me so that I will get fed up and leave.

He only understands or listens when it becomes a potential legal situation. That is why I asked if this was considered a hostile work environment. I'm trying to understand how to communicate with him, and NO, I'm not looking for a lawsuit.
  • I know this wasn't your question, but I think it is time to move on.

If this has been going on for three months, I really don't see a way of changing his mind all of a sudden. And, the other ee's see how he treats you, which decreases your credibility and authority.

It is unfortunate and unfair, but it's not hostile, just akward. Why do you want to work for someone who doesn't repect you or the effort you put forth towards your job. If leaving is not an option right now, then have an open and honest and FRANK conversation with your boss.

Tell him how he makes you feel, that you are being treated unfairly and that his attitude is unacceptable. Who cares if he is the boss, sometimes every now and then they need to be called out too!

At the worst, if nothing improves, at least you did everything you could to make it right. I'm sorry that he has betrayed your loyalty to him. That is a pretty crappy thing to do. Even if you did know about them all resigning, what could you do about it? Chain the doors shut and hold them hostage for eternity?

He is taking his anger and frustrations out on you and it's not fair, I definitely think he needs to be called out, or you need to move on.
  • It kind of sounds like out with the old in with the new.

Why did the others leave before?

Maybe he is afraid you may "contaminate" (sorry for choice of wording) the new ee's with info from past experiences.

If you are unhappy with the situation and have voiced your feelings with no change. I am sorry to say you may want to look elsewhere. The situation probably will not get any better.

• I believe the "out with the old" comment.

The others left mostly because he would get them to cover other jobs (due to illness), as well as their own. But as soon as the position became available, he would upgrade the position so that the ee covering would not be qualified, even though they had been doing the job for months. They felt used and betrayed. He got what he needed when he needed it, but there was no loyalty towards the ee. There were a lot of promises made - to no avail. There was a lot of stress.

I, on the other hand, spoke up, because I too had been covering the recruiting portion of H.R. for months, and he made me fell like I wasn't good enough to be in the position either. Actually, I wasn't even going to apply for the position, but was still insulted that I wouldn't have been good enough. That was my downfall. He started talking about upgrading my position when I leave so that he would have a "ceritified" secretary instead of one with 20+ years of experience, with 2.5 in H.R.

I just got frustrated and embarrassed again today, and I respect this forum. I have learned a great deal, and I don't want to run from the problem. I don't want to lose this.

• From the sound of it you are not happy in your current position with your ER. Start a job search see what is out there then make a judgement call.

Look both ways before you cross.

Good Luck.
    Lisa xhugs
  • This boss sounds like a joy. Don't let his negativity define you. What is this "certified" secretary b.s.? PUH-LEASE! Next time he says that tell him you want a certified manager! Sheesh!

No really, in all seriousness - he sounds like someone who is not going to change his behavior because a "mere secretary" doesn't like it. I'd polish up the ole' resume and start looking for new digs. With your amount of experience you should have no problem - just keep your dignity and stay professional as you make your exit. Don't sink to his level.