Pre-Employment Tests

I am looking for a basic pre-employment test that I could give to all potential candiates when they come in for their interview. I want to be sure that they can read and do simple arithmatic. Do any of you use a pre-employment test? Do you find that its a good tool? Right now I have been relying on whether they could fill out their background check form or not. The higher powers would like to explore testing. Thanks as always for your help.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We use the Wonderlic tests - they offer personality profiles, basic aptitude, and general tests that involve math. They have a scoring book so you can grade the test on the spot. If you can't find them on the internet let me know - I'll try to find out where we got them.
  • I have been using this company for the past few months for three basic pre-employment tests.

[url]www.employeeselect.com[/url]

I use one for our sales staff, one for exempt positions and one for non-exempt positions. They offer quite a few other tests to cover just about anything you need.

I can vouch for their customer support, ease of use and quick turn-around time all done via email.

I have improved our retention rate by about 30% since using these tests.

Hope this helps.
  • Whatever test you use ensure that they are specific to the job in question and make sure your selection criteria is based on business necessity. Get famiiar with the Uniform Guidelines on Employee Selection.
  • Face validity is important...i.e. references your workplace. However, giving the same test to all applicants is very beneficial in that you can track success based on certain trends you find in the tests.

We use a customized, internally developed test that we have validated several times. It also has face validity. It has proven to be a highly beneficial tool. We use this test in about 75% of our locations.

We used an industrial pschologist who has worked with us for over 30 years to develop it. If you would like a customized tool, contact pstc. You can find them on a search engine on the internet. They provide customized employment testing and will create the engine to deliver it. I have used them for one simple project and they did a wonderful job.

Wonderlic is also good if you want canned testing

• > Get famiiar with the Uniform
    >Guidelines on Employee Selection.

LV - You have now referenced the above source at least twice. I have never heard of, read about or heard or seen anyone ever refer to these guidelines in my HR lifetime. Can you shed some light as to where I might find these guidelines?

Thanks!!!!
  • UGESPs are at 42 USC 2000e. "...If a particular test or battery of tests has a disparate impact on a protected class, it use is unlawful unless the emp/er can show business necessity or specific job relatedness..." Keep in mind you will have to make appropriate 'accommodations' to individuals taking the tests. Just giving tests is an invitation to a disparate impact challenge. Unless you are a reasonably large operation, if you want to test, better to hire someone to do it for you whou will defend the tests. Paper and pencil tests are especially vulnerable to challenge.
  • You can research previous threads on this topic. The bottom line is that tests must be job related and canned tests often don't meet that standard because they are not developed for the specific job that you have. A general test for everyone is even more problematic. The Uniform Guidelines on Selection Procedures have been in existence since 1978 and were developed by four or five federal agencies, including the EEOC. I have a hard copy which is a quarter of an inch thick in small print. The companion document, Questions and Answers about the Uniform ----" is almost as thick. I expect that you can find them on-line at the EEOC website.

The bottom line is that tests should be developed to test the specific skill set required for the job in question. The guidelines also state that testimonials by test developers should not be depended upon as evidence of validity (job relatedness). The Guidelines become important if a test instrument is challenged on discrimination grounds. At that point they become very important because the test that is used will be measured against the standards defined in the guidelines.
  • Gillian3 - what if the test I use is very generic and it's main purpose is just to make sure that the applicant can read, write and do simple arithmatic? Do I still have to taylor it to each specific position?
  • I would think so, but you should probably make sure that the skill level is the same. If you need an arithmetic level of 10th grade to do work in one job, but it is only 6th grade in another you will end up screening out applicants. The best thing can do would be to put together your own sample of tasks that are done and see if the applicants can do them. This is usually as job related as it gets.