Staffing

Well once again I need some experienced help. I just began my HR career about 9 months ago. Within this 9 months...I have been required to advertise for open positions...making suggestions and arrangements for the most suitable media's, recieving resumes, logging resumes and distribution of those resumes to hiring supervisors ......YOU get the idea. Now I have been asked to Sort and RANK resumes submitted for an Executive Assistant position.

Does anyone have any tips or guidelines, on how I can sort and rank these resumes and be able to explain my reasoning as to why they are rank in the order in which they are. I am pasting in the majority of the advertisment for reference. Again, any advice to a first time staffer????

This position will provide administrative support to the Vice President of Administration and Finance.

The successful candidate must possess a professional demeanor, general accounting knowledge and a strong working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access. A baccalaureate degree is preferred. This position encompasses many job duties and a variety of job functions. The ideal candidate will possess excellent interpersonal skills, excellent public interaction skills, organizational skills, and be detail oriented. The ability to maintain confidentiality of information is a must.

Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: preparing reports, budgeting, collecting and organizing data, filing, handling office correspondence, arranging meetings, and completing special projects.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Most of what your ad requires cannot be ranked on a resume. Lot's of it cannot be ranked during an interview. Some of cannot be ranked until the employee has been employed for a year. You can rank them according to appears to meet the measurable specifics of the ad; such as education, experience and skillset. I would rank them as meets, appears to closely match and does not meet. And would give them the first two stacks.
  • Here's how I would do it. First go through the resumes and make 2 piles, a yes and a no pile. There will be obvious reasons why the resume would go on the no pile, no match for this job, poorly written, etc.

Then go through the yes pile and select the ones that have the necessary skills you need. Would salary be a factor? If your position pays $x and the applicant is looking for $xxx, there will probably be a difficulty reaching an agreement. On of the high rated resumes I would put on a Post-it note with comments and/or questions i.e. good experience, similar industry, salary?, etc.

Now what you have left are the second and maybe third tier of "yes" resumes. Using the First tier as a bench mark, sort the rest accordingly.

I would not bother to rate the no's. Just put an elastic band around them and put them on the bottom when you are ready to present them to thr hiring person.

Hope this helps. Relax, it's really straightforward, just a lot of reading.