Office Romance

We seem to have too many office romances going on. Our GM and I think maybe we need a policy prohibiting (limiting?)fraternization. I am wondering if any of you have this problem, and how have you solved it.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There have been quite a few threads on this topic. Hit the search button, put in the topic and you will be able read all the responces from HR pros on this subject.
  • There's also a feature on the home page...
  • I responded on Valentine's Day but an arrow shot it down. I said, "Here is is Valentine's Day and somebody is talking about prohibiting romance. Is there a Valentine's Day equivalent of Christmas' Bay Humbug?"
  • Sorry, bad timing. I'm all for hearts and flowers!
  • You can't legislate love away. Concentrate on the supervisor/employee issues - they are the most problematic. This is from a forum member who this year will be celebrating 30 years of what began as an office romance.
  • Congratulations on the 30 years. It is nice to know that some of the stories have a happy ending. As it happens one of our cases is a supervisor with the other party being in another department. One has access to certain payroll information which is what concerns me.
  • HRTEXAS: You can not legislate love, but you can legislate the companies' position on the border lines that creep in and hinders production and causes conflict with other employees because of favortism. The starting place is to call your management team together and the General Manager lays out his perception of what is going on that makes he and the owners/board of directors or whomever, uncomfortable or concerned for production and the easy flow of business. One by one then the situation individually can be addressed. NOTE: Mangement must clean up its act first. One can not go after the clean-up of labor issues in this area unless the management group is clean as a HOOT & A HOLLOW.

Good luck with baby sitting the love birds. These situations were rampant when I came. It took several years, but we ended up with only two marriages and the rest ended up broken up and terminated for all sorts of reasons. One baby has come form this activity. The other management marriage ended up with a joint termination. One left for a better opportunity and took the accounting manager with him. Just one of the reasons why you do not want love to blossom and grow.

PORK
  • Pork: I'd be interested to learn more about your study that determined how many babies were a result of intra-office romances. If you have this on an excel spreadsheet could you please provide a copy?
  • Pork: Do you work for my medical practice and I just haven't met you yet? This sounds suspiciously like my workplace!!!!
  • Pork How can you be so haard hearted about love and such a softie on security cameras. You know, you might catch some of that love you want to destroy if only you'd admit to a bit of camera spying, er security work.
    PS I just heard on the news there may be a new market for one of your products: it said the Isralis were going to put bags of pork fat on buses to discourage suicide bombers. Really! Seems, according to the story, Muslims may believe they cannot be admitted to heaven (or Muslim equilavent) if they have been defiled by pig parts. I know several religions don't eat pork, but that was a new one to me.
  • This is true. I've long advocated that our generals are failing to utilize a really cheap and meaningful weapon in Pork. Spray it along the roadsides. Rub tanks in it. Coat bullets with it. Drop it from helicopter gunships. This is not a racist or religiously intolerant post. Merely recommending a battle strategy.