Forced Retirement

I know I have read that I can require someone aged 60 or over to retire IF they are in a high executive position with a salary of $______ (Can't remember the amount). However, I can't remember where I saw it. It must be a provision of ADEA, but I can't seem to find it again. Would someone please give me the guidlines or refer me to the appropriate regulation? Thanks

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's age 65 if they are in a position of control and leadership appointed by a board of directors in a publicly traded company. Has no relationship to ADEA, other than being an exception to it.
  • JACKSON: I would turn to my board minutes, policy, procedures, and doctrine guidelines for governing the establishment for guidance on forced retirement.

In these days companies and organizations are calling us elderly experienced individuals back to work. I was told two days ago to not considered retirement until the President is ready for me to go. That might change tomorrow when I "step on my PORK" and cause adverse events and actions to occur around my professional career field. After I turn 70, if the good Lord keeps me around and physically able to function as the HR, I might consider retiring and the company might consider me retiring only if I have my assistant ready to step into my shoes. Which could be tomorrow!

PORK
  • Pork: Your intentions and relationship with your employer are admirable. I'm sure you know, however, that in your situation, it is totally irrelevant legally what your president thinks about when you should retire. Who knows; between now and then, he may really chap you and then when he forces you out, giving your age as his reason, you'll have quite a fat settlement check to spend in retirement. x:-)
  • Correct, and in many companies like ours, the retention of the elderly is strickly based on performance and value as seen by the owners.

Many of the big retailers are looking to retain and use the aged for good and worthy purposes. I really enjoy going into Wal-Mart and seeing my friends as greeters, sales assistance, etc. My brother-in-law has just taken on a new opportunity after retiring from one company and starting a new marketing division for a supply service company. He, like me, is a working fool and would implode and die, if he could not be actively involved with others in a worthy cause.