Should we advertise as "Temp" ??

We have recently received a contract where we will need to hire a welder for the additional work. We will need him/her for at least one year and could possibly go for 2 -3 years. We are also hoping that work "in general" will pick up and our maintenance department will grow accordingly. My question is regarding the advertising of this "welder".... do you feel I should advertise that it is a "Temp" position with the possibility of becoming a regular full-time position, or is that something we can just discuss in the actual interview (and not necessarily write it out in the ad). I guess I'm feeling that I would rather just relay that in the interview - that we're hoping it will become regular-fulltime position, however, there is no guarantee - isn't that pretty much the way it is with ANY position - one never knows if there may come a time when the position is not needed (work slows down, etc.) By the way, this position would be entitled to "benefits" etc. - the Manager is just concerned that the applicant needs to know that it MAY only last a year or so.. (but again, will probably be longer...) HELP!!??

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • A rule of thumb is that you would NOT include in an ad anything that would discourage a qualified candidate from applying. I would view this job as perhaps 'time limited' rather than what's traditionally thought of as TEMPorary. Advertise its strongest attributes to attract the best candidates. Explain the funding strategy in the iterviews if it's important. Welders as a general rule, or so it's been my experience, typically don't think of their job as 'permanent'. Sure, some welders work in one job for a lifetime. But, welder is one of the most nomadic, transient occupations in the country. Not that all of them are; however, they go where the work takes them, whether it's down the street or to the other side of the world. If the job pays well, has benefits and the work is attractive in other ways, candidates will line up for it.
  • First of all I would not imply during the interview that the position will become a full time position in the future. It doesn't sound like you can make that kind of guarantee. If the pay is right and the benefits are right you will find the right person. I would however check to see what the market is paying for positions like the one you are speaking about. You need to be very competitive when you are comparing trade jobs.