Positive Drug test

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-09-04 AT 12:39PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Just had a guy fail. We test post offer, pre-start. He knows about it as the MRO called him and he called me. My supervisor is sending out a letter confirming he is not eligble for employment as a result and copying 2 of his supervisors. Do you have a problem with this in terms of confidential information going outside our office even tho it is staying in the company? As always, thanks in advance.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Could the letter simply say that pre-employment test results demonstrate that you are not eligible for employment?

That way, it could be anything...and no privacy issues are violated.

• I would not send a copy of the letter sent to the employee to anyone other than the employee and HR. Other supervisors don't need to know why the person is not hired - just that he is not hired.
  • I agree. Although the supervisor of the open position will figure it all out in short order, I see no advantage to having him on distribution of the letter. In these situations I've just said something like, "We're not going to be able to put Bocephus to work." They'll figure it out and you haven't spread the word. A positive offshoot of this is that the credibility of the HR Department will be enhanced.
  • Thanks guys. You supported my thoughts. I am a real stickler on confidentiality and thought I was maybe being to picky. Doesn't matter, I lost the battle anyway. For clarification, it will not go to the supervisor of the position, but to MY supervisors supervisor. . up the chain. I thought maybe the MRO sent out an official letter, but was told no, it is the employers respondsibilty.