Reasons why not hired

From what I know I am not required to reveal the specific reasons for not hiring someone. I am concerned about an applicant for a high end management position asking alot of questions when he finds out he was not selected for the postion. One of the biggest reasons for not selecting him was bad results from the reference checking. The people giving the bad references are also concerned about what this guy might do if he finds out to much information. My idea is to tell him, another applicant was better suited for the position, and just leave it at that. Am I required by law to discuss any of the details with him?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No details. Just leave it at that.

"Thank you for your interest in (yaada, yaada, yaada). We have chosen a candidate whose education, experience, expertise, and abilities best meet the demands of the position, and the mission of . . . . "

If the person persists, do not discuss his qualifications against any other candidate's. Be firm, thank him again, and keep leaving it at that. Eventually, stop taking his calls.

• >No details. Just leave it at that.
    >
    >"Thank you for your interest in (yaada, yaada,
    >yaada). We have chosen a candidate whose
    >education, experience, expertise, and abilities
    >best meet the demands of the position, and the
    >mission of . . . . "
    >
    >If the person persists, do not discuss his
    >qualifications against any other candidate's.
    >Be firm, thank him again, and keep leaving it at
    >that. Eventually, stop taking his calls.

Thanks for your input I appreaciate it alot.
  • No, you aren't. Nor should you be intimidated by this situation or him. I don't know how you plan to advise the other candidates that they were not selected, but a generic letter is my recommendation. On the few occasions in life when I've had someone continue to press the issue after they were notified, I would give a generic comment such as, "As I mentioned in my letter, we did make a decision and we appreciate your interest in the position and the time you took out of your schedule to visit with us." I would advise that you never go into any more detail than that, not even saying "A more suitable candidate was chosen", or "Someone with a better skill set would selected". Stay away from all those hollow statements as they don't facilitate anything. Now, if he gets extremely bothersome or obnoxious, tell him "No, Howard, the company is NOT required to give you an explanation. There is nothing to be served by you continually asking."

I also would advise that you never, ever share information you obtained in a reference or employment check with anybody. When you release that information, your sources tend to dry up.
  • Thanks for your words of wisdom lstting me know I am on the right track.
  • Don is right. However, as a recruiter, I feel SO BAD for people who have given me specific references who I then call and they tell me what a horrid employee the candidate is. I so want to tell the candidate "you might want to take that person off your ref list" but know that it is not a good idea. I've never done it, but sometimes I'm tempted. If I found out someone I asked to be a reference for me was telling people I was a jerk I would be so upset! Course that's why I only ask people who I KNOW what they will say. Oh, and the fact that I'm perfect in every way helps too. x0:)
    Cinderella
  • This is a lesson. I always check references, but I have also always felt it was a big waste of time because who, in their right mind, would not list people who were not prepared to discuss how well the candidate walks on water? Now this post comes along. And would you hire someone who was not smart enough to play the reference game?
  • Where the bad information came from was he put down the "Board of Directors" as his supervisor, which they were. He told us an innocent story of being ask to resign, but when I call some of the members of that board the information wasn't so innocent after all. I'm like you, how smart was that? NOT
  • Marc, I know what you mean, often it IS a big waste of time. However, the companies I have worked for (now and in the past) have policies that say ref's must be checked. I like to take it a step further and ask the ref's to give me more ref's for the candidate -- that helps level the playing field a little. No, I would not hire someone who doesn't know how to play the ref game -- I just feel bad for them b/c they probably don't know their refs are saying. It's like when candidates say the WRONG thing in an interview, I sometimes think too bad someone doesn't pull them aside and say "this is how you interview, this is how you answer the questions, etc". It doesn't mean I do it, nor does it mean I hire them....I just feel bad for 'em.
    Cinderella
  • I couldn't agree more with everyone's responses. I think if this applicant does act out as you suspect it should only serve to bolster your opinion that you have made the right choice in not picking this person.
  • I seldom rely on just the references offered. I always check previous employers as well. It's sometimes a very interesting phone call!