Can't make her happy!

Our receptionist has been with the organization for 6 years with few complaints. All of a sudden, nothing makes her happy. She has a notebook which she records every employees' movements (at least that's what they all think, she takes the book every where with her). The sun is now too bright for her eyes...the WHOLE day, so we installed tinted screens to be pulled down when the sun is a certain level ($800). That wasn't good enough. She wants them down all the time, but they can't be because the heat would be trapped and crack the windows. She said the same thing happens to her at home and she wears sunglasses; she was told to do the same here. We constantly have music pumped through the bank. In the last 6 months, she turns the music off in the lobby saying, "I can't hear the customers on the phone, and they can't hear me." It's turned into the famous "on off war". The CSRs turn it on, she turns it off. We hired an electrician to come in and disconnect the speakers above her area (another $600-800). We're worried that she is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I believe we have made reasonable accomodations for her (she hasn't claimed a disability). Any ideas how to handle the situation?

Comments

• 64 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Something has changed. What is it? A 6 year ee who all of a sudden starts acting strange is not normal. Something had to have triggered her new behavior. Have you sat down and asked her why the sudden change? Is there something else going on in her life that is effecting her? I think you need to lay out for her all that you've done to help her and ask her why is she is still unsatisfied.
  • Here's a good formula for folks like that

Expectations + feedback + accountability = problem solved

1. Expectations - Tell her to behave like a big girl and stop whining. Tell her to do her job and if she has a problem bring it to light in a productive way.

2. Feedback: Tell her when she's being a whiner and annoyance.

3. Accountability: If she doesn't live up to expectations and doesn't consider the feedback, then fire her.

Don't handcuff yourself with written rules and policy manuals. Step up to the plate and set some real workplace expectations like, STOP BEING A WHINING IDIOT!!! If you cut this whiner free, it will set a fine example for other whiners.

HR Policy #1: NO WHINING

And if you want to get all technical about this type of ying yang, I bet her job description says something about interfacing with people or dealing with the public or something like that. If nobody is willing to address her whining, refer to her job description and cut her free for not meeting job standards.

Use the formula above and swing the axe. It's quite refreshing.
  • Yes.

I think it's sad that many HR professionals and management allow problem employees to continue causing issues in the work place.

You can perform the equation in a very nice, respectful manner.

People should be held accountable for 3 things

1. Performance metrics and numbers
    2. Policies and procedures
    3. Cultural (How we do things)

High performing companies deal with number 3. Most do not. It's not ok to let those things fester and continue.

HR folk like to tell managers that they cannot hold people accountable for #3. Sad.

Ideally, Mrs. Secretaries manager has a relationship with this lady and would be tuned into any contributing issues.
  • SteelBoy, what's it like in that really black and white world you live in? And all that name-calling you seem to enjoy (HR weenie, whining idiot, etc)...is that working out for you?
  • HR should remove the gray...not add to it.

Works out quite well.

If the shoe fits...
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-05-04 AT 09:31PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Steelboy, do you watch Survivor? I think you are Rob from Boston impersonating a HR person.

Glad to see you've joined the forum, it sounds like you'll be able to solve all of our future problems.
  • How well do typical leaders set expectations, provide feedback, develop coaching relationships, and then follow through with accountability.

OK, I've added another bullet, coaching, but if it ain't happening then nobody will be solving any problems.
  • What is your moonlighting policy? This woman obviously has had two jobs for the past six years. She's the same secretary who got fired who was parking in the wrong spot by the door in another post. She's not getting enough sleep. Are there cots available. Accommodate!
  • $600-$800 to disconnect a speaker? xflash I knew I should have become an electrician. All you have to do is unhook a wire.
  • The thing that has majorly changed her life is a stroke that occured a few years ago. Since then, she is a different person. I think that's why we're hesitant to act.
  • Now SteelBoy feels bad. Makes for a much tougher issue.

I'm a cruel and mean HR dictator, but not that mean.
  • How about posting a profile so we'll know who this is that just parachuted into our jungle with a machete in each hand and an icepick between his teeth. Would that work for ya?
  • Corporate HR Director for a Fortune 500 Company.

Our HR policies are rather unique, which you seem to have picked up on.

Always good to have a variety of opinions to sift through.
  • When people have brain injuries, sometimes their personalities exacerbate. Sounds like this may be the case. Depending on the severity of the stroke she could certainly fall under ADA. I would not approach the accomodations. I would approach they way she is acting. Define the behavior that is inappropriate, tell her what the expectaion is and hold her accountable.
  • I have to agree that lingering affects from the stroke may be it. When my Papa had a stroke he went from a fun-loving guy to an angry old man, always yelling, complaining and sometimes he could be downright nasty. Talk to her, let her know you've noticed recent changes in her behavior and attitude and that you want to help. I think the changes you've already made on her behalf will attest to your sincerity.

When children have a sudden change in behavior, it is usually because something is going on whether socially or medically. I think the same is true for adults, but we're just taught to "deal with it" and not complain.
  • Okay, something is definitely UP with her. Sudden changes in behavior are a red flag for several things.

If the notebook thing is true, then I am concerned about this person's mental health. However, it could just be the other ee's stirring the pot because they don't get along with her so they assume the worst.

The sunlight thing could be due to taking a new medication. I take a fairly common medication that makes me squint / wear sunglasses most of the year due to the lovely side effect of photosensitivety.

The music thing could be due to failing hearing or an illness / inner ear type problem.

Or, all of it could just be nothing. I wish I had some advice to give but I will leave that to the more experienced formites in ee relations. (My gut instinct is to sit her down and ask her flat out what is going on with these all of a sudden behaviors, possibly refer her to an EAP).

Cinderella
  • Communication is everything! She deserves a chance to express her thoughts and so do you. Understand with what you are dealing and then hold her accountable.
  • I agree with Cinderella in that the new medication just may be contributing to her behavioral changes. HRH's suggestion to sit her down and have a "frank" conversation with her is a good start. Maybe she can be placed on a different medication without as many side effects. It could be something else but that's my "hunch". She's been a good employee for six years - give her a change to once again become the good employee she once was.
  • Hey Steelboy, in this forum, we don't call people "whining idiots" when they are simply seeking advice on how to deal with a difficult employee.

What you will find here is great advice, encouragement, thoughtful opinions, and a few laughs.

Welcome aboard!
  • I don't think SteelBoy is real. I think he's Don with an attitude masquerading as a Yankee. x;-)
  • Don with an attitude? Must you always be redundant? Ain't me. I'm the one who asked the gentleman to post a profile, which I notice he did not do. I watched him parachute in here today and lambast everybody on every thread he visited. But I can't say that. James will accuse me of running him off. So, I reckon I take it back. Not.
  • I don't think any of you are real. We are all fignewtons of my imagination.

Oops, got to go. The nurse is here with my meds.
  • Paul, you always give me the biggest laughs. I love your humor. Keep it up.

I think Steelboy is real and I hope he'll be back. Too much knowledge to not be involved somehow with HR. Maybe he is a professor trying to see if he can cut it in the real world.
  • Not a professor.

Lambast???

Oh c'mon. A little direct language never hurt anybody.

I see several suggestions and replies to inquiries about communicating and gaining insight into others problems. I'm just learning the lay of the land on this site, but it seems that those things should just be a given. Do we have to actually suggest to folks that they speak with people to find out what's really going on?

I don't know about you guys, but the folks in my business appreciate a direct approach. That doesn't mean rude and ugly, but it does mean getting real stuff done with real language...not HR mumbo jumbo.

I also notice that many people who post refer to the leaders and management of their organization as "they". The HR folk who operate on the periphery of their business should be spoken to directly. Who is "They".

What is this site is for? to get good candid feedback. I hope we all have enough backbone for some direct language.

Don, I'll gladly post my profile when I get a moment and can further expore the site. I'm not sure I see the value in it, but I'll gladly go along with the suggestion.

SteelBoy is certainly real. SMACE, thanks for the encouragement to return. Even SteelBoy needs some words of encouragement now and then.
  • You know, I don't think you should make her situation a big deal.

If you want to keep her, then meet with her & discuss your unhappiness with her performance. Talk with her so she understands that the music issue is now a non-issue, as you disconnected the wires near her station, and you don't want to see her turning it off anymore. Also, let her know that she will need to address her manager with her concerns about the workplace (shades, music, etc.) before she starts taking matters in her own hands. If you can accommodate you will if not, then it's her choice to continue working there are not.

If you want to get rid of her, then let her go. Her antics are obviously a distraction to others & these antics seem to impede the production of others. Let her go. If you have a progressive discipline policy (yuck), then start writing her up - she'll eventually work her way out the door. For me, the bottom line here is that you (or her manager/supervisor) are in management; you have the responsibility to run the department/company, not the receptionist. If you would allow other employees to have the same latitude with the environment as she, well then, that's what you get. However, don't set yourself up to accommodate one person's strange requests - otherwise you'll be accommodating others as well (precedence).

• Although it's been said, I feel inclined to reinforce that this woman is CLEARLY suffering from some kind of medical issue. Perhaps side effects from the stroke, medication, whatever.

But the fact of the matter remains that she is undermining the ability of your other staff to work. The notebook she's carrying around could become very dangerous for you.

Agreed on the EAP intervention....if you do not have one then sit her down, maybe she doesn't even realize how crazy this has gotten...or maybe she does realize that she's losing control and she's holding onto the few things she can control...your message kind of puts me in mind of my grandmother during the early stages of alzheimer's ... she wasn't far gone enough to not care that she'd lost it...and it was just enough to make her angry and control what little she could-no matter how irrational.

Talk to her before you risk losing other employees. Maybe (unless it's against co. policy) offer to have another person sit in with her. She may be having a hard time hearing/understanding and that will only make things worse.

good luck.
  • Thanks for all of your advice. I will have a talk with her supervisor and suggest that we meet with her together to discuss her performance. Stress that she does her job very well (which she does), but we've noticed some changes in her behavior. Also tell her that though we have accomodated her requests, things cannot continue the way they are progressing. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again.
  • I might be missing something here, so if I have disregard this message..
    Why are you accomodating? I understand that you want to make an employee happy, but you stated in your first post that she does not have a disability. If you continue to accomodate, it is as though you are admitting she has a disability and then by law, you are required to accomodate. If another employee comes in and asks you to take out the music from his/her station, or asks for blinds, will you accomodate him/her? Where does it stop? If I missed something, correct me if I am wrong. I understand the stroke part, but did she come to you about the disability? Could you as a reasonable person, define that she has a disability? I would definitely talk to her about everything and keep your own documentation at each step of the way.