Signing off on timesheets

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-04-04 AT 12:23PM (CST)[/font][br][br]It's always a "best practice" to have employees sign off on their timesheets - but has anyone heard of a law (federal or VA) that would require this practice.

We use a timeclock (swipe system from Kronos) and during a training session a fellow "trainee" brought this up. Just curious. Haven't convinced management to use the "best practice" but will push it if indeed there is a regulation or law I am unfamiliar with on this subject.

edit:
Our employees do not usually see the time reports unless they have a complaint. Our supervisors verify times and mark absences/lates.

Thanks,

Tammy

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No, I don't believe there are any laws regarding the signing of timesheets, state or otherwise. That is usually a company policy type thing. If not already in place, it is a good policy to have...something like "all non exempt ee's will accurately record time in / out and all hours worked....all employees must sign their timesheet before turning it in to their supervisor....by signing the timesheet employees are certifying the times listed and hours logged are correct." Something to that effect. Then if someone has an issue with signing their timesheet, you just point to the policy. Nuff said.

Cinderella
  • Agree with Cinderella's post - not a federal requirement, but a company policy or practice. I worked a company that had many plant locations. Kronos was implemented as an automated, computerized timekeeping system to track time for all non-exempt employees in those facilities. Because it's computerized, no timesheets to sign and we had no problems.

For non-exempt office staff, we do require employees to sign their timesheets.
  • That's what I thought as well. We print the reports for supervisor review, but the ee's don't really have anything to do with the process after they punch.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tammy
  • You should make them sign the timesheets to avoid them later saying they worked more hours than recorded. It is hard for them to deny their signature if they ever get on the witness stand in a wage dispute. Not a law, but a great business practice.