Employment Contracts

My company is going to hire an apprentice toolmaker. We will be giving him extensive training and education. I was told by the current toolmakers that it is illegal to require an apprentice to sign a contract requiring a certain amount of indentured servitude in return for the education. I know that companies can require EEs to stay a certain amount of time after attending school using tuition reimbursement. I can't find any laws regulating this issue. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't think I've seen the term "indentured servitude" in ages! But I get the drift.

It's common for companies to require a certain period of service in exchange for training, but as a practical matter I think if you try to enforce it you jeopardize your ability to remain an at-will employer. I could be wrong, but just my thoughts.
  • Thanks for the input. I will wait and see what the bosses are going to do.
  • You may want to consider having the employee pay back the cost of the tuition if the employee leaves before a set time period. Normally, the repayment amount decreases the longer the employee stays until it is zero. The Illinois State Police try to use this concept in training their CSI employees.

Check with counsel on the legal requirements for such a contract.
    Vance Miller
    Editor, Missouri Employment Law Letter
    Armstrong Teasdale LLP
    (314) 621-5070
    [email]vmiller@armstrongteasdale.com[/email]