Confidentiality in Hiring Process

If a job candidate (who didn't get hired) wants to look at the hiring documentation (we have written questions and scoring sheets for each candidate), how much do you give him? I don't really care about letting him see HIS written rating schedules, but I don't think he should get to see everyone else's. We are a public employer.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-31-04 AT 03:14PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I know nothing about Montana law, but, unless it requires you to disclose this information (which I doubt) there is no reason to do it and there are many reasons not to. My advice is that an employer would never, ever disclose anything of the sort. Advise the candidate that the position has been filled and you appreciate their interest. Public employment has no special requirement that you advise people why they were not hired. If the candidate presses on or seems obstinate or demanding, simply tell him, "John, the position has been filled. We don't discuss the decision beyond that."

(edit) I will say, however, that when I worked in government, each candidate who took a merit or state service or federal service examination did have the right to see his own test results in the presence of someone at the administrative level. I don't know if they still do that.