Who failed the test?

In order to move up the ladder when a higher up position is available our company does an inhouse posting for anyone interested in applying for said position. All applicants are tested and according to testing we pick the appropriate ee. We tell each applicant thank you for applying but someone else did better on the testing. Testing is not the only criteria, other things such as attendance and current job performance are also factored in.

My question is: Do we have to reveal everyones test scores to those who were not selected?

Thanks.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No, but by telling the candidates that the test is the deciding factor you left yourself open to the question.

I'm always as non-specific as possible when delivering the news. Its hard to argue with someone else matching more closely the qualifications for the position.

• Thanks for the reply. I went immediately and changed my posting application to include other criteria along with testing in consideration of being selected.

-T
  • Any posting should as accurately as possible list all criteria as well as a job outline. Changing the posting, does not answer your question. You should never be specific in telling someone why they were not hired for a particular position.
  • I concur: The comeback to the ee looking to get PROMOTED should only refer to the "most qualified", as determined by senior leadership in consideration of the "total person and testing results".

The same would be true if you were responding to hiring practices. This date I am preparing a letter to go out to three of four candidates for a hiring action which states our company has made our decision and while your candidacy was very impressive another person was selected as the "most qualified" of all candidates.

PORK
  • I disagree with internal candidates. You should tell them why they weren't selected otherwise they are going to keep posting for positions without correcting the problem. If they keep getting turned down without being told what they need to fix, it could lead to other problems down the road.
  • I agree with cthr that internal applicants deserve more info. I wouldn't tell them anyone else's test scores, but I would let them know how they scored and what would be required.

"This position requires a minimum typing speed of 55 and you tested at 40." Or "you need a better understanding of the XYZ process."

Give them a goal to shoot for and you aid them in their development. No information can lead to frustration and losing a good employee.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-30-04 AT 08:25PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I agree with blw and cthr. Internal candidates should always receive feedback appropriate to aide them in their career aspirations with the company. Just as they would receive coaching in the performance review wrapup.

But external candidates should never be given any more than the minimum. Giving them more information can easily lead to charges of discrimination. I worked once for a company whose standard letter stated, "We are looking to hire more qualified individuals. A person more qualified was selected for this position". It's very easy for the EEOC to demand that you offer up proof of your statement. Proving somebody else was more qualified or proving the complainant was less qualified can be quite expensive and undoable.

For many many years, I've found the best letter to state, "Marmaduke Mining appreciates your interest in our company and its employment opportunities. The position you recently applied for (or, the position of accountant in which you expressed an interest) has been filled. We appreciate your interest and wish you the very best in your job search."

One of the most dangerous things you can do is offer up comparisons or anything else they can legally latch onto and challenge and make you prove; like, "We hired someone more qualified." And please don't ever say something like, "We will keep your application on file in the event future opportunities develop". Or, "If other opportunities develop that match your skill set, we will be in touch with you." Both of those are promises you will not deliver.