Pay for Kennel Costs?

If a "salaried/exempt" employee needs to go to a training class in another state for two weeks...She has 5 animals and no one to take care of them. She will need to put them in a kennel and the cost will be approximately $1200.00. Is the employer required to pay for that?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Whether or not you can or should make her go is one thing. If she does go, though, you are no more obligated to pay the kennel costs than you would be to pay to have her lawn mowed while she's gone.
  • Wow, what an interesting question. I do not believe you are under any obligation to pay this cost. There are pet care services who would charge her a fraction of that cost to come in daily.
  • Clearly it is her cost to pay. Lots of people house sit and dog sit in these situations. We have several friends who ask my son to do this very task when they are away on vacations, trainings, etc. Once she learns it is coming out of her pocket, perhaps she will be more creative with finding a solution.
  • wow. I have to send kudos for creativity...but say that you would be on solid ground for denying the request. Unless you have some policy that could be construed as including such costs when an ee is sent to train out of state.

Having pets is sort of like having children...there is nothing that requires you to do so...and if you choose to have them, you must accept the responsibility that comes with that choice. You wouldn't pay for her day care during this time, would you?

Suggest that she find a bonded insured pet-sitter. a local vet or shelter should be able to suggest someone.

good luck!
  • I am now being told (by a controller) that she believes their IS a "ruling" out there that states the employer would have to pay for the kennel... intereresting... she is going to research it more but seems fairly confident... ??
    Anyone out there able to check with their controller or finance person on this?
  • If she wants to push it, she could probably write it off of her taxes as a business expense. But like I said, that would really be pushing it.

Did this ee know that she would have to travel when she accepted the position? If so, this is something that should have been discussed at that time. If she wasn't ever informed that she would have to travel, then maybe you would be able to work with her on the cost. Not necessarily pay it for her, but consider forwarding the amount and then do payroll deductions.

I agree that $1200 is a lot to pay out of pocket unexpectedly. I don't know what kennel she is going to, but that is about double what my kennel would charge. (But that is a different story)

I would say that if she wasn't informed before the job was accepted that she would have to travel the company should try to work on this with her. That is what I would want my company to do for me at least.

Do you have an EAP? Our EAP services are set-up to help in such situations. Just another suggestion.
  • I also believe that by asking this you now have probable cause to drug test her. Because she must be smoking something if she thinks you should pay for that!
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Traveling is not a part of her job... this is a one time thing - a "2-week" training. And the kennel cost is so high as she says she has 3 dogs and 2 cats to board....
  • Kymm, I'm very skeptical that there's any such "ruling," but please let is us know if you find out that there is, or if there's something similar that your controller is construing this way.

My feeling is, if you pay this, then get ready to pay all kinds of expenses for employees who weren't told that they had to travel when they were first hired but then you later want or need them to.

By the way, my kennel charges $25 per day per dog (they don't board cats) so that works out to be $1750 for five dogs for two weeks, so I'm not unsympathetic to the cost.
  • I am also a finance person, CFO, to be exact and I have not heard of such a ruling. Does not mean there isn't one, but I would very much doubt it.
  • I'm with Balloonman, drug test. She has GOT to be on something. If she had to pay for it out of her own pocket, you can bet she'd find something much cheaper. Yup, drug test !!!!
  • I can tell you there is no such "law" or "ruling" that would require an employer to pay for kennel costs. As someone else said, employees do not expect child care to be paid by the employer, so consequently boarding costs would not be covered.

Having to board that many animals, the cost is probably not out of line. In-house care would more than likely be more cost effective.

I have two pups that I have to frequently call in a housesitter for. She sleeps in the house with them at night and checks on them during the day. I pay her what I consider a premium of about $300/week, but she has use of the house, fridge, etc. I just consider this the cost of having animals - same as having to deal with kids' expenses.

My boss would laugh me out of the organization if I suggested to be reimbursed for this expense.
  • As a recently laid off HR Manager/Animal Lover in AZ (and dependent upon her location in the Valley) I would love to offer my pet-sitting services at half of what the kennel is charging.
  • Sorry Paula.... the animals are in California..
    :-(