Just need to vent...

I spent most of today having meetings with six employees who are being laid off. While I have only been at this company for approx. two years some of the employees who were laid off had 30+ years of service with the company. While this is just a temporary layoff, we all know some of them won't be coming back.

Anyway, after the tears, anger, etc. I got to deal with being informed by a union representative that an employee (I've posted about him before) is refusing a settlement offer regarding a written warning he received for drinking alcoholic beverages at our company Christmas party after being instructed by two management personnel that this would not be allowed. His reponse to our settlement is that he wants to "take it all the way" and will not accept anything less. Our offer was that the warning will remain in his file for six months (instead of the usual year) and if there aren't any further instances of insubordination it will be deemed "inactive".

I know I probably shouldn't be frustrated because he probably doesn't know about the layoffs yet but sometimes the sheer selfishness of some people amazes me...

Comments