Governmental extortion?

Whadayu think? I heard an EEOC attorney bragging, that when an employer dared to suggest the EEOC proposed accomodation was a financial hardship, the atty suggested "...friends at the IRS might be interested in looking over your books to appreciate how this accomodation can be a financial hardship." I was flabergasted. I remain angry as hell. It didn't involve me, but I find it just plain outrageous that one governmental agency would think it had the right to threaten a taxpayer in that way. What's more disturbing is that the atty would think it such a smart move as to brag about it. I'd complain to someone, the EEOC Chief or the IRS commissioner, but I'm afraid the hobnails would be on me in a flash! My app for the militia is in the mail!

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-28-04 AT 11:12AM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-28-04 AT 11:11 AM (CST)[/font]

If this guy is a jack*ss enough to brag, I have to wonder if he didn't make it up to begin with. I find that a person's courage and cleverness becomes greater when a story is being retold. If any attorney ever said that to counsel at my company, they'd be all over him in a real big way.

Sounds like a tactic the police DA on Law and Order use all the time...
  • So, let's take a poll here and see how many HR professionals would have sat silently or walked away as opposed to how many would have imposed themselves into the conversation by challenging that remark or letting him know it was out of line, uncalled for, jackbooted and unprofessional.

So, the categories are....(drumroll)...Speak Up or Stay Silent.

Put me in the Speak Up column as if you had any doubt.
  • Put me in the Speak Up column, too! Document any such conversation in its entirety and head for the White House !

Chari
  • ;;) Oh, I don't know, I'm generally a shy and timid creature that would hate to make waves - NOT!!!

I'm in the Speak Up column - I've had to cry baloney several times over the years, so I feel confident I would do the same here.
  • I'm for speaking up too. And why is it the attorney thinks his personal tax returns can't be audited because of tip to the IRS?
  • I would speak up, loud and often and then repeat myself.
  • "Thank you so much for putting that interesting comment into the record of this meeting. I'm sure that your boss, as well as my friend over at WOLD News would be very interested in your remarks." x;-)
  • I probably would have just stood there with my jaw hanging to the floor.
    I wonder what the accomodation was??
    Cinderella
  • I don't know. Wouldn't tax returns be within the scope of gathering facts for a case such as that?
  • My guess is tax returns would be open, but a full blown audit would be out of proportion. On the other hand, we have auditors in all the time (it goes with the territory), so what's one more? I'd speak up.
  • Us bankers gotta stick together. Absolutely,Speak Up! There are time when much can reach a decision and then there are times such as this when you shot first and can ask questions afterwards, if necessary.
    Good Luck,
    Dutch2
  • I agree with HRBanker...SPEAK UP. But just like a bank we have auditors parked in the admin offices seems like half the year, so be my guest.
  • Crout, I don't disagree that tax returns, or at the very least, company financial information would be essential evidence for the company to submit to establish the defense of undu financial hardship. And, presumably, the EEOC in the course of its enforcement procedure would have access to the records. The outrageous aspect is that the EEOC (or at least oneof its attys) would have the unmitigated gall to suggest it might turn the company in to the IRS if the company insisted on its right to proffer the defense, instead of using its own enforcement procedures and making a decision on the validity of the defense in the proper forum.
  • To me, it's not so much the audit or how comfortable you might feel about having and passing one, as it is the arrogant, smartassed attitude of the investigator who seemed to think his veiled threat of an IRS Audit might reverse the company's thinking. This is not an atypical attitude among government workers.
  • Don, as a practicing smartass I felt highly offended by your comment. My hurt feelings aside, you articulated my point precisely. The original scenario posted did not seem so outrageous to me because I've seen it more than once. Those kinds of veiled threats happen all the time because the folks who are charged with enforcement are usually solely concerned with moving any given case from column A to column B, and will sometimes step over the line to make that happen. I understand how some people might be upset by that, but as tyranny goes it seems kind of mild to me. Perhaps I'm just mellowing in my advancing years.
  • Crout, I'm working on your assertion that: 'as tyranny goes, it seems kind of mild..' Frankly, I had never considered degrees of tyranny, but I suppose, why not? I think we referred to the Shah of Iran as 'a benevolent dictator' so why not a mild form of tyranny. Have we n o fear that tyranny of any degree, unchecked, will escalate to a more oppresive tyranny? I appreciate your acknowlegment that this kind of thing goes on al the time, and I know it does, but I think we make a mistake when we fail to rail against the system.
  • "...it's not so much the audit or how comfortable you might feel about having and passing one..."

I didn't intend to imply the above. It's just easier to push the bully if you know your company is in good standing. Usually a bully will back down, calling a bluff. However, I like knowing I have the hand.
  • Hear Hear! Shadowfax. I like that!!! Or is it Here Here! Whichever, I'm writin' your remark down in my ledger.

x:-) I can see you now, as you take the stage, black tails, tophat, twisting your mustache tip, approaching the witness stand, wheeling toward the jury, casting a headlong glance out the fogged window on the side of the old courtroom...
    "Tyranny, ladies and gentlemen...in it's mildest form, is tyranny indeed. Here sits before you a crumpled, pitiful example...."
  • >...
    >"Tyranny, ladies and gentlemen...in it's mildest
    >form, is tyranny indeed. Here sits before you a
    >crumpled, pitiful example...."

"...of power left unchecked,..the bruises, indelible and forever, on a complacent nation's neck.

Oh Donald, my Donald, I fear our chance was lost,
    We failed to rage, to rant to rail
    refused the awful cost.
    Too late we came to join the fight,
    and now the beast is grown
    Too late we knew the price we'd pay
    our souls in hell he'd own".

(Thanks to Don D and apologies to Walt Whitman)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-02-04 AT 08:20AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Ahhh, yes, Ole Walt. Bought a box of his 'Sampler' candy over Christmas.