EE Request $8,000 Raise

Help! What should I do? I have never faced this type situation before.

An employee seeking an $8,000 annual raise to be effective by February 15th, 2004 has approached me. This employee at all times was courteous and polite during our discussion. This employee did advise that if we could not provide the increase, that this employee would seek other employment.

This employee has been with the company for a little over 14 months, is a great asset and has an outstanding performance evaluation. In the past 14 months we have given this employee a $2,000 annual raise after completion of the probationary period. This employee’s annual salary is now $40,000, which maybe low for the market in Dallas, Texas.

In support of the employee’s position the employee gave me several advertisements from last Sunday’s paper, most of which have an average starting salary for this employees’ position of $47,000. We would not like to loose this employee, however we do not want to put ourselves in the position were other employees wanting annual raises as well, make run on HR.

Notably, we had to lay off twelve employees last summer and have not given anyone any raises or bonuses. Like everyone we are in a tight budget situation and have had to make cutbacks.

Any comments, suggestions, opinions, personal experiences you wish to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-28-04 AT 09:08AM (CST)[/font][br][br]This may be a time for creative solutions!

If the EE is this valuable AND is expressing an interest in staying with your company, I'm sure he realizes the financial position that your company is in. Could you offer other things to sweeten his deal with you until the company has rebounded a bit and you can increase salaries?

Depending on his situation, he may welcome vacation time, additional stock options, whatever you have to offer that may make it worthwhile for him to stay with you.

Do you offer tuition reimbursement? He may have a spouse or child that could use it, even if he can't/doesn't need to.

Good luck.

another thought: You say that you don't want to grant his request because you're afraid that all EE's will want this treatment. EE's pay should be confidential...and that should be the response if anyone asks. Additionally, the EE has demonstrated that your salary scale is significantly below that of the industry...which goes back to my earlier response, what can you/are you doing to make it worthwhile for ee's to work for you and earn less than their counterparts?

• I am currently in this situation. At least the asking for a raise due to being underpaid by industry standards. The company is not doing well and I know that I will not receive the raise. I asked about receiving another week of vacation instead (the company did not offer this option to me). They are currently considering this option. I dropped a week of vacation when I first started here. Other supervisors at my level have one more week of vacation than I do. I am xpray that they grant my request.
    The additional vacation, stock options, and/or anything else you are able to offer would show this ee that you really would like him to stay at your company even though the company is not in a favorable financial position.
    Good luck.
  • This is a "on one hand, but on the other hand..." situation. On one hand, he knew what he was making when he started & if he could have made more, then why didn't he take a job making more? Obviously, there was a reason why he chose your company to work for - something about it appealed to him. On the other hand, if your pay ranges are really that far off, then why lose a proven employee if you're going to have to pay the replacement that much anyway? It does sound like he did his homework & came to you with facts, not emotions. I would still do my own homework.

I've been in this situation & this is what I did -I checked our salary ranges with surveys & revised them to fit the market. When I did that, we couldn't fix everything at once, but we had a few key positions that we wanted to be competitive with the market. I compromised with some of these managers by giving them a step-up "market adjustment" - not a raise based on performance. The adjustment occured over several years, with raises every 6 months. I also took a portion of the raise they wanted & put it into performance incentive, which kept the base salary from adjusting too high.

I don't think you should worry about the "rush" to HR of everyone asking for huge raises. Instead, focus on your compensation structure & develop one that's defensible & equitable. Then your pay ranges are an open book & everyone can know why they're where they are. If you're paying $40,000 for what others are paying $47,000, then you're about 85% below market. This will result in lower direct payroll costs, but higher turnover. You'll have to strategically decide where your company wants to place itself in terms of market - you may be right where you need to be. SHRM puts out a great booklet on developing a compensation plan & pay ranges. (I'm not presuming that you don't already have a good plan - just passing on a tip about a great little booklet.)

Kathi

• JIMLEGAL: It appears to me that this EE is sitting in the driver's seat with a clear understanding of his value to the company. However, his value as preceived by him may be over priced. It is up to the company decision makers to decide his value. It amazes me how companies allow the situation to develop. As we proceed through the year the company needs to be able to tune in to the glory of production and who is causing the positive activity. Once realized then that is the time to reward the individual with something for the great work! Regardless of the correctness of the ee's perception, the ee now has caused a break in the relationship with "PUT UP OR I'M OUT OF HERE" to the employer. GIVE HIM THE RAISE AND YOUR COMPANY HAS BOUGHT INTO HIS PERCEPTION AS REAL AND IT WILL RISE AGAIN. I recommend you turn the issue over to his most senior manager and let them deal with the ee's concerns.

On the ee's side, his approach may have been mis-guided but to him/her it is real and the ee is ready to move on, regardless of the companies' response. The ee does not have a long-term relationship built on loyality and dedication to his opportunity and should go ahead and jump on the advertised positions and the company should support the ee's decision. Maybe in a couple of years your company might choose to recruit the ee at a higher range because he now has additional experiences and value. Don't allow the bridge to the ee to be burned, make it a clean seperation and a WIN WIN for all.

PORK

• Pork has a valid perspective that you should explore a bit.

I would start with the question, as suggested by others, that addresses why your salary range looks so low. There can be many factors, such as the jobs descriptions are significantly different than first appearances suggest; your company is out of line by accident, or your company is out of line on purpose.

You mentioned a RIF and low or no raises for several months. When you are struggling, you may have to lose a few people who are not invested in the struggle; at the same time, it takes a good, dedicated and loyal work force to pull out of the doldrums and perhaps your company is poised to recover.

Look at your facts objectively and decide whether or not you want to compete for this EE. Do not worry about the others flooding your office with the requests for raises, but if the EE is able to secure the same job for significantly more money, you are still in the place you were worried about, because the other EEs will soon know and present you with the same problem/opportunity.

In either case, you must analyze your company's position in the competitive marketplace to recruit and retain good EEs. If you are in the lower part of the range, you will generally get a below average EE, that is just the way it works.

I say do not bow to the demand, but you must do your homework to prepare your company to live in a competitive environment.

Good luck.
  • I would analyze your market and your ability as a company to pay. If the market states the salary is low, then I would make a market adjustment to the salary. If you can't afford the entire $8,000, then maybe you can counter with at least half of the requested amount, advising employee of the rationale behind the request. I would also emphasize the great store you put by loyalty and sticking with a company through good times and bad. If the employee holds out for the entire $8,000 or threatens to walk, that tells you something also about his loyalty.

As others have stated, the amount of recruitment, downtime and possibly going through a batch of "losers" before you find another good employee may be more counterproductive and expensive than the $8,000 raise (if justified).

• I did this exact same thing myself three years ago except it was $7000. I also tried it the next year and was told they would not do it two years in a row and perhaps I should float my talent on the market if I felt the job was underpaid. It was and I did. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I don't think these types of forward approaches by employees should ever just be dismissed automatically, with the "You knew what the job paid" reaction. If my employer reacted that way, I might say, "Yes, I knew what it paid. But, now you know what I am worth. So let's negotiate."
  • I strongly believe the ee wishes to remain with the company. In the ee’s explanation the ee showed me that after taxes and paying the minimal expenses (rent, electric, telephone, car, insurance) the ee has nothing left. In fact this ee was very open with the finances. This ee showed me how he struggled just to pay the rental on his daughter flute for band. In fact I was surprised to learn this ee doesn’t even own a credit card! Thus, I don’t think extra vacation or stock options are going to work.

I did ask the ee why this position was accepted at the initial salary. The ee advised it was because the ee really wanted to be a part of our company for the long term. Since the ee’s was initially employed, our company has cut back days off, cold drinks, ½ day free time, Fun Fridays, Annual Company Picnic, Christmas Party and much more. However the ee advised that he had given our company a year to correct the financial situation without success. The ee has made comments throughout the year to his immediate supervisor about his struggles. The ee also stated he felt it would be irresponsible as a husband and father to stay at the current financial levels, which would wreck his family.

As suggested by Pork, I met with the ee’s supervisor this morning that clearly stated that he would like to keep this ee and I need to work with the executives to fix the problem. Then he stated isn’t that the HR persons job? This particular supervisor isn't one that asks the executives for much, is always low key. The problem here for me is that our executives will spend money on anything, but employee salaries. Apparently it’s been that way for years around here.

I feel like I’m in a no win situation. X:-(

• The need for the salary survey and to compare your company's salary structure to the job market is even greater. The fact that the EE is struggling to make ends meet may be his motivation for approaching you, but it is not your problem! Your problem is to determine how well the company wants to compete in the labor market. If you do not want to compete at the level the individual requests, then you have no choice but to tell him you cannot meet his requirements.

It is HR's job to determine where you are with respect to the labor market, it is the leadership's job to determine where they want to be. It is only your call to get them the information and make suggestions or recommendations, it is their job to act. If the supervisor does not want to fight for his staff, he will get to train new ones and probably continue to lose the experienced staff to higher paying companies. His actions also have consequences.
  • I understand your comments, it is just hard for me to put aside my concern and empathy for this type situation. I believe I really need the executives to help me on this one!
  • Hi Jimlegal - if you're that concerned for the ee & the supervisor, then go to the executives - don't hesitate - just go. Once you add social security, medicare, etc. to his request - you're really looking at about $10,000 to $12,000 additional dollars this year to the bottom line & any future increases will only continue to multiply that figure over the coming years. Weigh the idea of losing him to the idea of paying more & see where you end up. It doesn't sound to me as if your company can afford to pay more & it also doesn't sound as though you can't hire someone else - after all - you just hired him 14 months ago.

As to ee's coming in & looking/demanding more money. I always listen & if they present reasonable information, I consider their request - if they don't then I diplomatically point out the error of their logic, state company position & encourage them to seek other employment if they feel that strongly. The information this person has supplied to you - would have gotten the latter approach I mentioned. To state, here's what it says in this Sunday's ads - is bogus. I can go onto Salary.com & they tell me that I should be earning $90,000 per year & about $110,000 with bonuses and benefits - great, but I work for a company that takes in only 8 million a year - that wage is completely unrealistic. I would point out to this employee that fact & I would also let them know that a good wage survey is generally made of of several factors, company financial position, company philosophy on wages, a minimum of three independent sources for wage information - as industry specific as possible & local conditions - ads in the Sunday paper don't cut it. Next, I don't care if the guy doesn't have a credit card - his expenses are his expenses - not the company's - give me a break. Did you pull out the company financials & show him how much the company spends monthly on benefits, taxes, payroll, rent/lease, electric, etc? Again, this logic would have been quickly dealt with. I'm not really a fan of this expression, but for me it seems appropriate to this post, "It's not personal, it's just business." If you can't afford to pay him more, then encourage him to seek the American Dream - more money at a different company. Just my thoughts.
  • Mwild: You are absolutely correct about salary.com information. I have lots of employees present this information to me as "gospel".

I, too, wish I made the salary that is quoted for my years of experience.

• About 3 years we had an engineer let us know that he was offered $10K more from another employer. He had not accepted the job yet, and was torn because he enjoyed working for us, but with a new family, the money was important, too. We offered him $5K. He quickly accepted and is still with us as a productive ee. You may get this guy to stay with something less than he is asking.
  • RayA: Did anyone view the offer in writing or did you take the ee at his word? I have found that the counteroffer is dis-tasteful to say the lease. If the employee Engineer was that valuable for less, but he stayed, how soon will the engineer have another offer. Thanks for the counteroffer, but why now, why not last week before the other company started calling and looking at me. Employers must always be forward looking to make sure the best of the best stay at home.

Your companies' personal and loyality relationship is questionable and is now built on a $ollar foundation and that surface can be like quick sand and consum the value of the relationship. Love is strongest when it flows both to and fro with ease and pure understanding. It is usually best to let the recruited go and then maintain a relationship that brings the ee back when he/she has more expertise and experience paid by the othercompany (lover).

PORK
  • Pork, good question. Actually, I was waiting for Don to call me on that one. Normally, we do not make counteroffers for the reasons you offer. I have had ee's leave my office in total disgust because I refused to counteroffer. This was a longer term ee who is a "straight arrow", nothing devious about him. He did show me the offer letter from the other company, who happens to be a large, major, well known military contractor. The letter was genuine - salary offer was consistent with the payscale of that company. We, the Engineering Director, General Manager, and myself made the decision that this ee was being straight up with us and it was worth making the offer to keep him. It turned out well. But the decision was made based on assumptions that we felt were solid.
  • Ray A, much like your ee our ee is the straight arrow of the crowd with 17 years experience. I believe what this ee tells me. I agree Sunday ad's aren't the gospel, but it does shed a bit of light on what is going on. My challenge is dealing with the executives. They just don't like to pay employees. A recent example is rather than give the employees some compensation, they decided to lease an area at the AA Center for staff to attend a professional hockey game. Only ten percent of the staff attended. I just have no idea how to deal with this type executive mentality. Thoughts???
  • JIMLEGAL & RAY: I absolutely concurr with your actions.

Now the Hockey arena is a self gratification activity of the executive group and will not really solidify the love and belonging required for a solid team relationship. It is a perk and unless paid for by the executive group out of their own pockets, it has or will have little benefit in building a team relationship.

PORK
  • PORK, you hit the nail on the head. That event had caused more ill-will around here that anything the executives have done. What little team building that was around, was totally lost when about 1 month ago the executives called all ee's in the board room and told them, if they didn't like working here, go somewhere else! Let us remember that our management style is suppose to be following the book "First Break All The Rules!" I am so frustrated...
  • Yes, Jimlegal - my thoughts are to go talk with them - don't personalize this issue - if you can't make the decision yourself & require a higher authority to make it - then just approach the exec's with the information - let them decide & then notify the ee. What the company chooses to do with their money - is their decision - not yours or anyone else's - it's their company. You only choose to work there or not, just as anyone else. It scares me that you say the ads 'shed light' on compensation. My friend, read up on compensation programs, take classes, etc. until you too are knowledgeable enough to know the folly of that statement. I wish you the very best in your situation & applaud your compassion, now time to meet with the executives. x:-)
  • My employer is making strides to raise our pay scale. But, our goal has not been to be the highest paying company around, nor the lowest. We do try to do extras for the ee's to make up for lower wages. But, the executive committee's philosophy is to do things that benefit everybody. For example, we stopped having off-site picnics because not enough people attended. Now we have on-site picnics that everyone can participate in. When bonuses are handed it, everyone gets one - when money was tight, the non-exempts only got them. Take care of the lower wage employees since they have the least to start off with.
  • Jim: Nothing personal, but if I went to the executive of my company and bartered for an employee salary increase based on the cost of bacon, heating oil, rent and toupe' grease, I would expect to be thrown out on my ear. Expenses are always a personal consideration in taking a job and looking for another. However, they are never a consideration when approaching the company for an increase. Jobs don't pay based on how much people need to maintain a standard of living or even to survive. It's market, market, market. What is the guy's marketability in the area, what is the area range for the position, how valuable to the company is he and what are you willing to pay in that range in order to not have to replace him?
  • DON D: As always, solid advice. Thanks a million!