Delicate Issue: Flatulence

Has anyone had any experience discussing a flatulence problem with an employee? Other than addressing this as delicately and compassionately as possible, reminding employee of working in close quarters and leaving the room or using a restroom as needed, I'm not looking forward to this at all. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I do not envy you your task...why,may I ask, is it your task to begin with? But anyway, I would handle it the same way as addressing body odor...here are tips from a Q&A from Joan Lloyd who answers HR questions on body odor...

Try to keep in mind that the employee may have a medical condition, such as IBS, that causes them frequent and uncontrollable gas.

[url]http://www.joanlloyd.com/articles/open.asp?art=590.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.joanlloyd.com/articles/open.asp?art=774.htm[/url]
  • How appropriate of you to bring this up right after the noon hour. We've discussed this recently along with body odors and other hygiene issues. There is really no delicate way to bring to an adult's attention that he/she should not break wind in crowded quarters. Just have a rather frank, brief conversation and then move away. In consideration of your comp policy, be sure that no open flames are in his work area.
  • Aside from what you've already stated, Kathy, I'm not sure there is much else you can do. It is an issue that absolutely must be addressed and handling it delicately and compassionately is about the best you can do - be prepared for some severe embarassment on the part of the employee when you discuss it. If there is a physical problem behind it, your suggestion of permitting them to leave the room at will (as necessary) sounds like a very reasonable accommodation. I wish you luck. I'm glad that in all my years of HR I've never had to address an issue like this.
  • Hi Kathy: I'm happy to say I have not had to deal with this problem. Your post says you will address it "as delicately and compassionately" as possible. Do you suspect that the person is not, shall we say, "in control" of the situation? Is your employee handbook any help? Ours has a section entitled "Personal Appearance and Conduct." In my opinion there is no excuse for the continued behavior. I'd document the meeting and if the person continues, I'd warn them they should look for another job. (p.s., I'm sorry to learn this is in my home state of Kentucky!)
  • I'm hard pressed to believe that if any one could control this, they wouldn't. I know someone (elderly) who has had this problem since colon cancer surgery. No warning, no ability to control, terribly embarassing all around. I'm not sure I would warn them they should look for another job.
  • Sonny:

I believe that inappropriate behavior in the workplace should be addressed.

It sounds like this problem has been dumped on HR because no one else wants to address it.

I also know some employees will push the buttons to see how far they can go.

I would let the employee know that there have been complaints. If there is no health issue involved and IF the behavior continues, at some point, you have to warn an individual that certain behavior cannot be tolerated and they could be terminated.
  • I have had to deal with this only because supervision refuses to, they see it as an HR issue, and I'm sure they will screw it up. I've done just as Don says, frank, short, and walk away.
  • Don, as usual, is right on . . . we've had to address this problem and there is no easy "fix" . . . get it done--short, to the point, and walk away.
  • If you are not comfortable with the frank, open, honest approach and the supervisor is being a coward, why not print out this thread and leave in in her inbox?

OF course you would need to edit your sign-in name from the lead post - or not.

No easy way to do this, ignoring it is not an option.
  • Marc's reply reminds me of a situation many, many years ago when I was a relatively inexperienced supervisor and we did not have an HR department that involved themselves in such mundane issues. Several people had complained to me about an ee who had very bad hygiene. Not knowing just how to approach a female on the subject and being very afraid, too, I ignored it hoping it would go away or people would give up complaining. Instead, some coworkers went next door to KMart and bought soap, tooth brush, toothpaste, and shampoo. They left it on her workbench at lunch when she was gone. She was very angry and embarassed, but she got the message. I'm not saying that was the right way to handle the situation, but it did work. You could get a big container of Tums and leave it on the ee's desk.