Mother's Hours

I have been asked to research Mother's Hours. Does anyone have a current program/policy in effect? My thoughts would be to let them set hours as long as we can work with them and to also treat them as part-time ee/ ie no benefits. Thoughts/input is greatly appreciated.
Sandie

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'll bite. Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't understand. Are you suggesting that your company might allow 'mothers' to set their own work hours or that you might establish flexible work hours of some sort for women who are mothers? If that is your question, I would ask,will you have Dad's hours? Maybe I totally misunderstood the question; but, if you're going to put in place some sort of accommodation for women who are mothers, it's certainly discriminatory in more way than one.
  • I'm still somewhat new to this sight and didn't know if I was just missing something. I had the same questions and thoughts that Don did. Need more info I guess.
  • Mother's Hours is only a title for hours available to work (flexible) and does not only pretain just to mothers (women). First I had heard of this myself. Was brought to me by the GM. They are thinking of having some part-time positions that we could work out hours with the individuals. He has heard this referred to as Mothers hours. I assumed we would just treat as part-time positions.
  • Better to call it part-time. The term came from a time when mothers only worked when their children went to school. Use the same criteria and benefits schedule you would for part-timers. As far as setting their own hours, my only suggestion is that this schedule be firm and that the same number of hours each day be worked consistently - if you have someone working 4 hours a day for 5 days, do not allow that schedule to change weekly so that they can work 20 hours whenever they feel like it. The schedule can be subject to review quarterly, for example, to ensure that the hours worked meet the needs of the business.
  • I'd never call something like this "mother's hours". I'd call it flex, part or whatever, but make sure it is open to anyone. Males and/or those who don't have children will be up in arms if special treatment is given only to "mothers".
  • Sandie:

It is flex time for full time employees and part-time for odd working hours 31 and less. The company can take care of all comers including male employees, who are interested in this working opportunity. Mother's hours is not an appropriate title for this type of working schedule. Call it what you and the GM want to call it, but do not publish the activity as such. The male and single moms will bury you with the attacks and some will pursue EEOC for your discrimination activity which is hostile to working men, and single moms.

PORK
  • >Sandie:
    >
    >It is flex time for full time employees and
    >part-time for odd working hours 31 and less.
    >The company can take care of all comers
    >including male employees, who are interested in
    >this working opportunity. Mother's hours is not
    >an appropriate title for this type of working
    >schedule. Call it what you and the GM want to
    >call it, but do not publish the activity as
    >such. The male and single moms will bury you
    >with the attacks and some will pursue EEOC for
    >your discrimination activity which is hostile to
    >working men, and single moms.
    >
    >PORK

Pork,

Just curious about the 31 and less hours being considered part time. Isn't the definition of "part time" based on each company's own definition?

Sandi
  • Perhaps when your GM came to you with this his term "Mother's Hours" meant something completely different than your assumption, which would take care of the discrimination issue.
  • Thank you very much to all those who replied. I have taken this forward and believe me we will not be using the term Mothers Hours or any that is gender based/bias. Much appreciated!